Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep Cut Can't Self Intersect - Why? Intended Behavior or Bug?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dtroy15
145 Views, 3 Replies

Sweep Cut Can't Self Intersect - Why? Intended Behavior or Bug?

I need to use a sweep cut to create a relatively complex compound-curve surface for a hydrodynamic application. In attempting to do so, Fusion stops the operation and throws an error for a self intersecting body. I understand why a self-intersecting sweep could be problematic when creating a body. However, I don't understand why this self-intersecting sweep CUT won't work? Such a cut does not produce any impossible geometry to model or manufacture. So why can't I make this sweep cut?

I've attached an example file (separate from the part I am working on) which shows this issue.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
g-andresen
in reply to: dtroy15

Hi,

Please show a picture of a real object.

günther

Message 3 of 4
TheCADWhisperer

@dtroy15 

What are you attempting to model?

Experienced users tend to not use Primitives (Cylinder).

Your Hole1 appears to be at a random location?

Your Hole2 appears to be at a random location?

The circle in your Sketch4 is not dimensioned and appears to be a random size?

The circle in your Sketch4 is not perpendicular to the start of the Sweep Path?

I thought this one would be trivially simple to resolve - but after examining your file - I have found the true Design Intent to be ambiguous.  I am still certain there is a simple solution but the Design Intent must be better understood.

You have Attached image rather than use the camera glyph to embed the image which makes it just a bit harder for anyone wanting to help...

TheCADWhisperer_0-1687516091566.png

Message 4 of 4
jeff_strater

"I understand why a self-intersecting sweep could be problematic when creating a body. However, I don't understand why this self-intersecting sweep CUT won't work?"

The short answer is:  Because the steps involved in a sweep cut are:

1. build the body produced by the sweep
  2. subtract it from the intersecting body

Step 1 is the same as building a new body.

The geometry kernel just does not allow self-intersecting geometry to be created

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums