Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketch dimensions wont change units

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
rprovideo
416 Views, 6 Replies

sketch dimensions wont change units

This might be sorta intentional but annoying, or simply a bug.

I am designing in mm. I now have to add a component based on a canves thats in inches. So I built the basic lines, and because it was making my life difficult, at one point I chnaged over the document to inches. Voila, now I can see some rounding errors in my design. I click on a dimension constrain on a sketch, to enter 3" instead of 2.9512", and....the text box says 74.95mm.

This dimension was created when the document was in mm, so it seems its retaining it. I can see why, but not exactly ideal. An even better approach would be if I could enter dimensions in any unit, selectable in the text box, without changing the whole document.

rprovideo_0-1658249256629.png

rprovideo_1-1658249275347.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wmhazzard
in reply to: rprovideo

You can type what ever unit that you desire in the text box. If the document is in mm, just type 3in in the text box and you will have 3" although the display will be in mm. On my computer, changing the unit settings updates the display to either unit, meaning if I typed 3" in imperial and changed to metric, the display shows 76.2 mm.

Message 3 of 7
jhackney1972

As you can see in my Screencast, if your document is based on inches and you enter the exact equivalent dimension in millimeters, it will convert it and show inches as the sketch dimension.  If you have dimensions in millimeters and you change the document to inches, all the dimensions will switch to the equivalent inch value.  If you were not exact in your millimeter dimensions, you will see slight errors.  Keep in mind that the dimensional entry box contains a full math calculator so you can even use math formulas in it such as (2/3)*.5 and it will calculate it for you.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 7

You can change document units here:

theasylumkeeper_0-1674136801180.png

Message 5 of 7
rprovideo
in reply to: theasylumkeeper

Yes as I stated in the original post I did that but the sketch retains its original dimensions 

Message 6 of 7
theasylumkeeper

[image.png]Have you also set preferences for you session in general?

You can open this dialog by clicking here:
[image.png]

then set units for the module you're working in.
Message 7 of 7

1. Thanks! Was having a to imput "in" after every dimension I needed to do. 😕 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report