Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section analysis - Cut plane changes orientation

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
philip_biggs
403 Views, 16 Replies

Section analysis - Cut plane changes orientation

When creating a section analysis, if I use a surface on a rotated/moved component as the cut plane and click OK the view appears as intended. However when I turn of section analysis and turn it on again the view is incorrect.

The cut plane has moved. On further investigation it appears that when a component has been moved/rotated, the cut plane reverts back to where the component was originally created, not where it currently is.

This problem has only just appeared (within the last few weeks). It affects previously created drawings which were behaving fine up till recently as well as new creations.

I have attached a simple drawing to illustrate the issue.

The component "Hex" (Red) was created on the XZ plane then moved back and rotated 45 degrees.

"Copy Of Hex In Original Position" (Blue) shows where "Hex" was created.

Analysis "Section2" was created on the Black face of Hex.

If I edit then close Section2 the resulting view is as intended (cut at 45 deg. across the components).

However if I turn off analysis and turn it on again, the section view changes to where Hex was when I created it.

As I said, I have many drawings with sections which previously worked as intended but now don't!

Don't know if this is a new bug or I'm doing something wrong.

Hope someone can help resolve this issue. Phil

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
blukaniec
in reply to: philip_biggs

Hi Phil,

I am having the same issue with the cut plane moving whenever an analysis is hidden and then made visible. I am having this without moving any components (I haven't tried moving anything). I can create an analysis, hide it, then make it visible and the cut plane has shifted. Unfortunately, my analyses are also inverting (flipping) the orientation - if it was originally in the +Z direction, it is now shifted and in the -Z direction.

I posted this in more detail "Major section analysis bug"

This also happened to me after updating Fusion today. I think I remember reading about new section analysis features in one of the latest updates to Fusion but it seems it just made everything worse for me (and maybe you too).

Hopefully this gets corrected quickly because it is a pain to work with.

-Brendan

Message 3 of 17
philip_biggs
in reply to: blukaniec

Hi Brendan,
Thanks for the information. Didn't spot your post, not sure how I missed it though.
I've also been seeing inversion of views.
I've also probably had the offsetting of the cut plane as you've described. I put it down to the movement of components but thinking about it some instances were probably spontaneous movement of the plane.
Sounds like you are suffering more than me!
Hope we get a fix soon.

Phil
Message 4 of 17

First thing I notice is that none of your components are Grounded?

Message 5 of 17
blukaniec
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Although Phil might not have any grounded components, this is absolutely not the case for me and I am having the same issues. This is something that popped up after the latest round of February updates, as Phil also encountered.
I have never had an issue with the section analysis tool until earlier this month after the big update. Most, or all, of my section analyses (across dozens of assemblies I am currently working on) were inverted every time they were made visible. Once I called up the analysis edit function, the problem was immediately corrected with no further action.
After the 2/21 update, not only did the inversion persist, but now the analysis is also shifted- as if I typed in an offset. Again, this happens whenever the analysis is made visible and is immediately corrected by calling up the edit function. As Phil stated, I can hide a correct analysis and immediately make it visible and the issues are present.

*edit* I am seeing a trend where this issue is only happening on assemblies containing sub-assemblies. I cannot replicate this issue on components or assemblies containing only components. I just opened an older top level assembly (last edited 4/22) that contains several sub-assemblies and there is no inversion but the section is perpendicular to the original section! Again, calling up the edit function corrects it until it is hidden

*edit* I was wrong, this is happening on assemblies containing only components

Message 6 of 17

Hi,
True, none of the components are grounded. As this was a simple demo file, I forgot to ground one. All my "real" designs have at least one grounded component and behave as described above.
Just tested the demo file after grounding "Box" and it doesn't make any difference. Also tried grounding "Hex" the component with the cut plane reference surface. Also no difference.
Phil
Message 7 of 17
philip_biggs

Hi Brendan,
Your comment "the section is perpendicular to the original section!" is the sort of thing I'm seeing. When the component with the reference face has bee rotated 90 deg. and the section created when after that rotation. The faulty section view is displayed relative to where the components reference face was before it was rotated!
Phil
Message 8 of 17
blukaniec

Hi Phil,
Weird.. The more I use Fusion the more odd behavior with section analysis I am seeing. I have now run into a perpendicular section multiple times, even on new analyses. The worst is when I open/switch to a file and my part/assembly is completely missing. It took a while to figure out it was the section analysis bugging up!

Since we haven't heard back from support on this forum (your post or mine), I contacted support directly and opened a ticket. I have a screenshare scheduled for tomorrow. Hopefully this will lead to our issues being fixed.

I'll post updates as they come,
Brendan
Message 9 of 17
Phil.E

Thanks for reporting this. It is logged as a bug with this ticket: FUS-122361

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 17
philip_biggs
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi Brendan,
Thanks for contacting support. This is my first time using support/forum so not familiar with how things proceed.
Just for completeness, I should mention that this problem occurs both when components are created directly within an assembly drawing or they are inserted external components. In the case of inserted components, the problem exists regardless of whether the component remains linked or the link is broken.

As you say it is a bit of a shock when the whole assembly disappears.

Phil

Message 11 of 17
blukaniec

Hi Phil,

I am pretty new to the forums as well. On my original post, Support responded that the problem has been identified and the fix should be rolled out in the March update/release.

For my screenshare this morning, I was told a lot of the section analysis issues happen if the part/assembly is panned/moved while the create analysis tool is open. This is something I do a lot. I just tried this out and for sure when I move the assembly while creating the analysis it becomes significantly shifted. And when did not move the assembly at all and they are shifted only a like a half inch. Also, none of my test analyses have inverted today...

Regardless, Support is aware of this issue and expect to have the fix rolled out in March.

Brendan
Message 12 of 17
philip_biggs

Hi Brendan,
Many thanks for your help. I will bear in mind the pan/move issue. Looking forward to the fix coming.

Regards, Phil
Message 13 of 17
jlarsonLP454

Any update on this bug? My section analyses are often facing the wrong way or offset until I open the edit menu and click OK, then they are fixed. 

Today I wasted a bunch of time because I had a section view open on one project, switched tabs to a different project I had open, and when I switched back to the original project my model had disappeared! I forgot that I had the analysis activated, so I wasted a bunch of time trying to chase down what I thought was a graphics issue before I finally spotted the analysis turned on. To be clear, when I switched tabs to another project and then switched back, the section analysis offset itself for some reason, hiding my entire model. 

I am on the just released update: Fusion 2.0.18719 x86_64

Message 14 of 17
blukaniec
in reply to: jlarsonLP454

This bug was fixed for a whole year but it is back! I updated Fusion to latest version this morning and just used the section analysis for the first time and immediately ran into bugs.

I opened an existing assembly. Made "Analysis" visible. Made an existing section analysis visible. It looked ok but I didn't remember the correct orientation. So then I double clicked to edit and my assembly disappeared. I then finished editing the section analysis and my assembly was still nonexistent. However, when I made the section analysis invisible, my assembly came back.

This is different behavior than last year but I haven't tried replicating my previous issues, and I don't have the time to check.

This is a pain in the butt and really slows my workflows down, and it sucks that we probably have to wait a month to get it corrected. Here is a suggestion: before launching updates, add section analysis tool functionality to your quality control program so us users don't have to deal with this for months at a time!

Brendan

Message 15 of 17
jlarsonLP454

I've been having issues for at least 6 months, which is about as long as I've been using the section analysis tool

Message 16 of 17
blukaniec
in reply to: jlarsonLP454

Yikes! I've had better luck than you but now we are both hit

Message 17 of 17
simon.farrant

The problem has be identified and asigned to the relevant person for fixing (FUS-152764). It went out in the FY24 January release.

Simon Farrant
Principal Software Engineer, PowerShape

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report