Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling Issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
239 Views, 3 Replies

Scaling Issue

While creating my object I use the inspect>mesure tool to make sure it is the size (in inches) I want. This object is supposed to be ~3.15in and it shows that with the measure tool but after exporting it and uploading it to a printing site for a quote, it says its almost 80in and too large to print (obviously). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this issue. Any help is appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

STL is a unitless format.  Both sending and receiving ends must agree on what 1 unit represents.  If your Fusion design was built using inches as the unit, you need to tell whatever you are uploading to that this is an inch document.  It depends on the system receiving the STL.  I do this all the time with Shapeways (they only support mm and in).  As long as I tell Shapeways my design is in inches, and I use inches as the units in Fusion, it all works fine.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thank you! Whats strange is that I still chose inches for my site I was uploading to and it still did that. I just tried Shapeways and at first it did the same thing of showing it was 80in but it gave me the option to adjust the size of my object. So, that works if I go with Shapeways, but if I don't do you have a different export format you know works with keeping the correct size?

Message 4 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

all mesh formats I am aware of (really just STL and OBJ) are unitless, and will have the same behavior.  There is no "right size" here - the exporting software does not know what assumptions the importing software is going to make.  If you want to share your model here, we can take a look.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report