Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redefine Copied Sketch

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
gordiehl
327 Views, 8 Replies

Redefine Copied Sketch

Hello Support,

I'ma goin crazy!

Adding a few dimensions works great if the copy is on the same plane.  But redoing the relationship on a copy of a full-defined sketch to a different plane (in space) just doesn't seem possible.  Unless of course I'm missing something, which is probably the case.  

Here I have a simple example with a drawing attached.

Steps Taken:
1.) 2x4 rectangle "A" on origin, turns fully defined as expected
2.) 10" line on Y

3.) 5" line out on X

4.) Add horizontal constraint to 10", 10" and 5" turn fully defined
5.) Copied rectangle A to the end of 5", loses definition as expected

If it's possible to redo the relationship of the rectangle copy to the Origin and go fully defined, how is it done?

I'm done searching, reading, and watching.  So now I'm asking for help.

Thanks!

G

How to fully define a copy rectangle A into space.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
gordiehl
in reply to: gordiehl

UPDATE:  Construction lines can be used back to parent/original if, IF it's in the same drawing.  But the question remains if the sketch is from a different drawing.

How to fully define a copy rectangle A into space 2.jpg

Message 3 of 9
davebYYPCU

Project the end point of the 5 in line to the new sketch.

Connect the copied rectangle to the purple point.  All will turn black.

Might help....

Message 4 of 9
gordiehl

Ahhh, maybe I'm mistaken.  Here's a 2x2 square copy from another drawing where it was fully defined to the origin.    Again, notice the construction lines back to the original rectangle which made it fully defined.

Needs more testing but my eyes are bleeding.  That's all tonight.

How to fully define a copy rectangle A into space 3.jpg

Message 5 of 9
gordiehl
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Ahh I'll test it later and reply.  Thank ya Sir!

Message 6 of 9
davebYYPCU

3d Sketches are hard work.

tdsthdb.PNG

Might help....

Message 7 of 9
gordiehl

I'm sorry but I'm not quite following "project the endpoint of the 5" line to a new sketch and connect the rectangle. 

I see you have an offset plane in the timeline and drawing.  And you've simply added at distance dimension to make the rectangle go defined (maybe) but I just cannot put the steps in order.  I know I'm very close but also very frustrated I cannot figure this out!!!  1:53AM doesn't help either lol.  

I've only used Project and Break Link for a frame step file axis project.  So limited experience with that.

Would you be able to put that example drawing tdsthdb.f3d into a little process video?

I gotta get some sleep.  Back tomorrow.

Thanks Dave

Message 8 of 9
davebYYPCU

Well I was talking about your early pic/s - because without the timeline I did not know if the pasted sketch articles were going into a second sketch, but I figured you would more likely be struggling with a, one, 3d sketch, 3d sketches are hard work with.  Your second pic and description sort of confirmed the trouble with 3d sketches. 

You got there in the end, (kudos) but not so simple, eh?

No video available, but I can write it down.  Fusion doesn't care how many sketches you make, but prefers simple ones.

First sketch has the rectangle constrained fully with a corner on the origin. (Copy it) Finish that sketch.

Offset plane from / off an Origin plane, set distance to (a distance required) 5 in this case, 

New sketch on this offset plane, and paste the rectangle into this sketch,

with the move handle slide the pasted copy over to where it is close to position.  Say Ok for the Paste.

Now with the Horizontal Constraint, make a top corner point horizontal to the Origin Point in the sketch.

Next set the dimension from Origin to the same point or upright line (a distance required) 6 in this case.

All black?

Finish sketch all done.

tdsthdb1.PNG

All the size data in both sketches can be changed at any time the file will update without breaking.

With 2 sketches you don't need to be Projecting, because each new Sketch brings in another sketch Origin Point to replace the Projected one I was talking about.  Use it to dimension from.

Might help...

Message 9 of 9
gordiehl

Ahhh I didn't know you could constrain to the Origin.  Good info!

In the production drawing I'm working on the sketch doesn't align with an Origin plane.  I can just dimension to the Origin in the Offset plane.  That was the key Dave!  Thanks man.

Thanks!

G

How to fully define a copy rectangle A into space 4.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report