Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch mode issue

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
igor.blokhin2003
190 Views, 8 Replies

Patch mode issue

I'm learning patch mode now and have some difficulties. After some patch operations when I want to to edit previous sketches and patch them again, I see something like this, surface doesn't conect to its sketch and make holes between itself and connected surface. I know holes between surfaces can be fixed by stich operation, but i want to prevent them to appear. What can I do?

IMG_2137.jpeg
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

It is hard to tell without the model, please attach it.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9

Sure, here is the file. Hope you can help me

Message 4 of 9

You model is created in Direct Modeling Mode which makes it rather hard to edit and troubleshoot.  Can you show a screen capture where on the model you are seeing the problem you posted in your first post, I do not see it?

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 9

Here is the model you attached with all sketches patched and stitched together.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 6 of 9

This part is on the first screen. But honestly i see it everywhere. Surfaces just don't fit to their sketches.

igorblokhin2003_1-1694822008997.png

Message 7 of 9

I see this in your file too. You can even create another patch surface using the sketch line and the actual surface line created with that sketch, it's crazy. 

igorblokhin2003_1-1694822719463.png

Message 8 of 9

Neither is this a bug nor is it crazy!

When creating a patch, you are creating a NURBS surface. The shape of a NURBS surface is controlled by a rectilinear grid of control vertices (CVs). Regardless of the shape of the NURBS surface, that grid is ALWAYS rectilinear.

The ISOcurve analysis tool with curvature combs shows this clearly. It does not exactly show the location and density of control vertices, but it follows the UV coordinates of the CV grid.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 10.03.48 AM.png

That means that usually, only one of the boundary curves is naturally aligned with one edge of that control grid. The other edges are created by trimming. That is a process hidden from the user.

I used the Untrim command in the Surface tab to bring back the untrimmed NURBS surface created by the patch.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 10.08.04 AM.png

Imagine that you are trying too stretch a very stiff table cloth over a frame of welded together, curved tubes. If the curvature is too high, the stiffness of the table cloth does not allow for the table cloth to touch the frame in some areas. This is what you are seeing.

That is the reason why in professional vehicle design no one works with boundary patches. 4-sided lofts are the predominant tool.

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 9

@igor.blokhin2003 If my last post answered your question, please click the Accept solution button 😉

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report