Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help modelling and controlling curves on ring.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dangartland
112 Views, 5 Replies

Need help modelling and controlling curves on ring.

I am having trouble modelling a ring whilst being able to edit certain features later on, specifically the top curve shown in this sketch.

dangartland_0-1695745358831.png

I have modelled it using a split body workflow but cant seem to get a good control over the curvature.

dangartland_1-1695745426225.pngdangartland_2-1695745450570.png

The side profile has also been distorted

dangartland_3-1695745487714.png

I tried to build this with splines but the section refused to sweep via spline rails, So I instead built a guide using the split body tool.

dangartland_4-1695745694988.pngdangartland_5-1695745719107.png

But now I have no way of controlling the curve I want to control. Can someone suggest a way I can better build this to have more control over the shape in fusion.

Many thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeff_strater
in reply to: dangartland

There are likely many ways to do this.  I like your surfacing approach.  A couple of suggestions:

1. this thing appears to be symmetric.  Just model half of it, and mirror at the end
  2. instead of a cylinder in the surfacing approach, use a loft from a smaller circle to a larger one, to get your "top curve" that is closer to what you want.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 6

Can you share the model ?

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 6

The geometry you have sketched in three views is geometrically impossible to create in a true 3D model.

You'll have to make compromises 

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for this it definitely helped, I understand that the geometry is impossible and so I wanted to make a model wherein I can edit the curvature to match as close as possible to the top view of the sketch.
Message 6 of 6
dangartland
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks for the help ill give it a go

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report