Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving text - how to move it without rotation

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Zedodia
2246 Views, 12 Replies

Moving text - how to move it without rotation

I am rather confused - such a simple thing seems very difficult and not approached correctly by autodesk.

So if i place text, I first select a start point before I can type the text. After I type the text and hit ok, I then would like to move the text. But every time I select the text and attempt to move the text - it rotates. And nothing I can figure out allows me to move the text. Shouldn't moving be the primary function of 'move/copy' and then rotation be a secondary mode? - i dunno - like everything else in fusion360.

any help to solve how to move text would be great.

Also before I hit 'ok' i can move the text however upon selecting 'ok' it reverts the text back to the initial position selected.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jeff_strater
in reply to: Zedodia

like this:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 13
maxotl
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hi,

New user here, and I have the same issue. When I use "Edit Text" it shows the "rotation icon" at the top, but no blue color icon that you show in your video that allows to grab and move the text. I see also green dots around the text box, looks like anchor/pivot points. There does not seem a way to move the text, but only rotate.

I have only text, no other objects or dependencies/constraints that may prevent the move. Will appreciate your help.

I am using Windows 10 with latest updates.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 13
maxotl
in reply to: maxotl

Nevermind, I figured it out. It seems the functionality changed since your video post. Clicking on "Edit Text" brings rotation icon with green pivot points also enabled. I had to choose "Move/Copy" instead of "Edit Text".

Message 5 of 13
jhackney1972
in reply to: maxotl

You really are making it hard, the Move command is not required.  Take a look at the Screencast.  If you will notice also, you can move it after finishing the command, you do not have to edit it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 13
maxotl
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hi John,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This was so frustrating, especially for new users like me. Those green dots especially getting in the way... You are right, it is so easy, and your screencast is very helpful. Happy holidays and happy new year! 

Max

Message 7 of 13
richardN73C5

I found that once the text has been embossed there seems to be constraints or construction lines added automatically.  Removing them was required to move the text.  
Can someone explain this to me better and save me some poking around with my mouse?

Message 8 of 13
mark

I guess the UI changed again because neither video worked for me.  When I left-click on the text and drag it, it just rotates.  This happens whether the sketch is finished or not.  Can someone post a third video for the latest UI?

Message 9 of 13
jhackney1972
in reply to: mark

The UI has not changed when it comes to moving text.  You have to be in the sketch, containing the text, and simply left click and hold on the text and drag.  You also can add sketch constraints to the text box to restrict motion you do not desire.  If what I show does not work, create a Screencast of your own and show the steps you use and post it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 10 of 13
jhackney1972
in reply to: mark

I have not heard any reply so I guess everything is working for you now.  If so, please mark my post Accept Solution or let me know if you still need assistance.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 11 of 13
jf_groleau

This is actually a bug. The problem lies in the text box points: you have to make sure the cursor snaps to the grid before clicking the left mouse button. If those points are entered in a location between 2 grid points, you will NOT be able to drag the text without rotating it no matter where or how much you left-click and drag (constraints method notwithstanding of course). If this happens to you, just delete the text (or undo) and start over. Just make sure those box extent points snap to the grid.

Message 12 of 13
ajs_olpvt

The issue is that often one wants to align the text with a feature. I like to use construction lines to center a label or embossed text on a part feature, for example. Then I want to snap the center of the text box to the construction line. In order to do this, I think I have to grab the center point in the text and drag that to the desired line...when doing this the text box gets rotated and reshaped. There's probably some underlying logic in the geometry that makes this rational in Autodesk land, but it seems like a poor default behavior, and is unintuitive.

Message 13 of 13
g-andresen
in reply to: ajs_olpvt

Hi,

please create a new topic and share a specific file for reply

File > export > save as f3d on local drive > attach to post

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report