Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving (rotate) drops constraints?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bentwookie
149 Views, 5 Replies

Moving (rotate) drops constraints?

I'm likely doing something dumb here, but I can't explain what I'm seeing. I've made a rectangle with perpendicular sides on three corners (four would be over constrained). I then try to rotate one of the edges. The perpendicular constraint on one of the corners is lost and the shape goes out of square. 

Does move sometimes eat constraints? Is it supposed to?

Sketch is here (in the CAM component) https://a360.co/3Fzj6az

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: bentwookie

I would be more upset at the lost dimension.

If that is a 2 point rectangle, then the underlying horizontal / vertical is not lost, (should be)

(Can’t make a 2 point rectangle from scratch on an angle)

One workaround is 3 point rectangle on an angle.  There are others.

Probably the sketch engine.

Might help……

Message 3 of 6
jhackney1972

When I do the operation you describe, I do not see the problematic results. I may not be selecting the exact pivot point but it does not make a difference wherever I select.

Sketch Rotate.gif

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 6
bentwookie
in reply to: jhackney1972

I'm only rotating the one edge and expecting the others to come along for the ride based on the applied constraints. It works for me as well if you select all the edges (or initially construct a 3-point rectangle). 

Seems like a bug. I'd expect it to rotate like the 3-point rectangle constructions do, but short of that, I'd expect it to remain stationary instead of removing constraints/dimensions. 

Message 5 of 6
g-andresen

Hi,

Avoid such rotations if you want to have stable as well as reproducible and editable sketches.

Dimension the angle!

günther

Message 6 of 6
jeff_strater

The short answer is:  yes, Sketch Move does remove constraints.  The logic here is:  If the user wants to just rotate the selected geometry, Fusion will try to honor that operation as requested.  If there are constraints to that object that might affect that move, they will be removed.  Sketch Drag, though, allows you to move geometry within the constraint system, but at the expense of not necessarily following along as you might expect it to.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report