Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mm settings

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
emre_sahin9PU3F
167 Views, 7 Replies

mm settings

Hi,

When I call a file from outside into Fusion 360, the unit of measurement is always m (meter). I have to change it to mm every time. Is it possible to open external data in mm without interfering with the unit of measurement?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi,

@emre_sahin9PU3F wrote:

Hi,

When I call a file

1. f3d; STL ….?

2. File > open or workspace > insert …?

günther

Message 3 of 8

Hi,

There are parts drawn in different 3D programs with extensions such as step, xt... I will be doing CAM in Fusion360. When I open the part in Fusion360, the unit of measurement is m (meter). I have to change it to mm every time.

Message 4 of 8

STEP is a unit aware format so it will open in the units it was created in, pretty standard for CAD programs to open non native files in the units used to create the file.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

OK, seems to be a problem with x_t format. I have a couple of programs that can read and write x_t and they are reading the units correctly but Fusion in importing as meters.

@Phil.E Can you take a look at this? I've attached 2 x_t files, both created and saved in mm, both open in Alibre and ZW3d in mm but Fusion opens in meters.

EDIT. After a bit of a Google search it seems Parasolid x_t is saved in meters and it's up to the opening program to set the import unints. I guess my other programs are using their default settings but Fusion because the online translators have no connection to your preferences just default to meters?

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

Hi,

Temp. I opened the parts in the file in Fusion 360. The unit of measurement of the parts is m (meter).

1.PNG2.PNG

Message 7 of 8

@emre_sahin9PU3F Did you read my EDIT above? What I've found is x_t files are created in meters no matter what units the original file was so Fusion will open as meters because the online translators are not connected to your preferences. This is a problem with all online translations, they will open in the units used to create the file or if the format is unitless Fusion defaults to CM.

STP files do have unit info in them and should open in the units they were created in. I've attached a stp file save in mm and it opens in mm in Fusion and all my other programs (cube should be 10mm).

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Phil.E
in reply to: HughesTooling

Is the problem that the parts are the right size, but it's inconvenient to change display/input units to mm?

Or is the problem that you expect it to be 1mm but it's 1m across?

And yes @HughesTooling everything you are saying here about units/translation/local open is correct.

• There are limited local translators and they can provide the right units.
  • There are some translators that rely on the cloud, and if the format is unitless, you get 1 unit = 1 cm. (stl, dxf)
  • And there are some local translators that allow you to pick units.

PhilE_0-1702068316281.png

If someone can provide an x_t file that provides the wrong units/size please do, and let me know what you expect vs what Fusion gives you. I'm happy to log an improvement ticket. 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums