Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh plane cut along incorrect angle

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
shopey464
184 Views, 5 Replies

Mesh plane cut along incorrect angle

Hello, I'm having an issue with the plane cut when cutting a mesh. I need to cut my mesh that I rotated previously to a specific angle however when I use the plane cut tool it will cut at a different angle that what is displayed.Screenshot (144).png

In the photo above I need to cut my mesh along the x-y plane, which is displayed correctly vie the red circle, however it will actually cut along the orange outline shown within the circle, which I believe is to be 90°to the mesh. Am I going about this wrong? Either way the way this is displayed is very confusing as to what is actually being cut.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
praise.tomWX9P2
in reply to: shopey464

Hi @shopey464 
It should be 90°to the mesh as you mentioned.
Can you choose the cut plane as the xy origin plane? I believe the model might have not been oriented rightly when you rotated it.

Praise Tom
Message 3 of 6
shopey464
in reply to: praise.tomWX9P2

I do choose the xy origin when I attempt the cut. The red plane that is displayed is correct to how I want it cut but it doesn't actually cut along that plane, it displays like it will but it cuts along the orange line. I thought maybe it was an orientation problem but I have no issues when I try to cut a mesh loaded by itself. I have multiple meshes in this file that I need to scale and rotate so maybe all my modifications are causing an issue? I don't understand why they would affect a cut along an origin though. The mesh that I'm loading in I need to rotate by 10° so I thought maybe the cut would be 10° off due to the previous rotation but it isn't, it's just off by a seemingly random angle.

Message 4 of 6
shopey464

Screenshot (145).png

I'm combining multiple meshes to create one mesh for 3d printing, there are 4 meshes that will be combined and a component that I'm using for reference size and shape. Interestingly the 2 meshes that are looking at each other (dark pink color) cut fine along the xy plane, the orange and blue mesh will not cut properly along the same xy plane. The issue seems to be the face of the mesh that I'm cutting as the two pink meshes won't cut properly either along the back side of the mesh where it is already flat.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's hard to describe what I'm trying to do exactly.

Message 5 of 6
praise.tomWX9P2

Hi @shopey464 
Can you share the file with us? I would appreciate it if you can record a short video and show us the issue you are facing.

Praise Tom
Message 6 of 6
shopey464
in reply to: praise.tomWX9P2

Link to video showing issue

I also added the file, I'm guessing the issues I'm having are because of the way I loaded them and what I'm doing is kinda janky to begin with. I'm now just brute forcing the correct angle to look visually correct and will hope for the best when it prints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report