Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measure tool sucks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
ckVCFWD
645 Views, 16 Replies

measure tool sucks

I have encountered tons of scenarios where the measure tool is just useless, but i ll focus on one here. there maybe a way to read this measurement some where but i cant see it. solid works measure tool never lets me down. why cant fusion make it work the same (or better)? I want to check if this part fits quickly by just comparing measurements in the program and real life. how do  I get the distance from the edge or centre of the hole to the face?  I drew on the image how solid works usually does it. I would love to be called an idiot here and have the secret revealed 🙂

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
jhackney1972
in reply to: ckVCFWD

You just do not understand the Measure command.  The video will show how to get the measurements you desire.  You did not supply your model so I made a mock-up.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 17
ckVCFWD

hmm. then my Fusion is different or broken, as if you look in my screen shot you will see there is no options under the "results" like yours has. I can not click on various axis measurements like you can. and If i click the snap points box I still get the same result. as It stands I am not able to replicate what you have done. I still have not achieved that measurement.

Message 4 of 17
jhackney1972

For the Results, to show the different axis measure, you must be selecting vertices in your model.  These options will not appear if you are measuring from any other selection.  Please video record what you are seeing so the Forum users can troubleshoot your issue.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 17
ckVCFWD

Hi J, here is a video. I interpret vertices as corners yeah? I dont know if I understand. I tried any relevant corners and verticle lines but still the same results. What am  I doing wrong?

Message 6 of 17
HughesTooling

@ckVCFWD go back and watch @jhackney1972s video again, the first thing he does is enable Show Snap Points. To select the hole centre you need to hover over the edge and hold the Ctrl key down and then move the mouse pointer to the centre point and select.

HughesTooling_0-1683617745644.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
ckVCFWD

Im not trying to measure from the centre of the hole though. I want the dimension of the edge to the up right face. I understand that the dimension  Iwant could be derived from the centre point of the circle by subtracting the radius. but if that was just a curve and not a circle it wouldn't have a centre point, so I would still like to know how to measure that for future scenarios . regardless, the snap point box does not change anything or get me the dimension I need. It also does not expand the results to include multiple measurement options like in J's video.

Message 8 of 17
HughesTooling

If the hole axis and the face are parallel just selecting both surfaces will work. Minimum distance on the dialog, hard to see on the model because of overlapping numbers.

HughesTooling_0-1683655150313.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
HughesTooling

Just noticed you don't even need to use the measure dialog. Just shift select both surfaces and it shows minimum distance bottom of screen.

HughesTooling_0-1683655390107.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
ckVCFWD
in reply to: HughesTooling

hmmm, mine does not show that info in the corner. It also doesnt give me that cluster of info when I measure it like you did. I am starting to think that my Fusion is extremely buggy. I am also dealing with a failure to use gesture's and shift click orbit.

Message 11 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

@ckVCFWD 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 12 of 17
ckVCFWD
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

sounds good. here is my model. 

Message 13 of 17
HughesTooling

@ckVCFWD This is what I get if I select the hole surface and the face.

HughesTooling_0-1683791414577.png

Can you get a screen grab of what you see? Please don't attach pictures as the forum's not good for viewing attached pictures.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
ckVCFWD
in reply to: HughesTooling

I am able to achieve that measurement that way too. but to me it seems crappy that you have to select the sketch circle and not the circle you want, which is on the face of that part. if that hole was a "follow me" hole that snakes around through the part ... Id like to be able to measure from the actual hole. I also dont understand why I dont get the multi measurement results like J gets in the video he posted?  I don't know if i know the difference between a screen grab and a screen shot. I have only posted screen shots so far. and as far as I am familiar with a screen crab or shot is still a "picture" in the end. is there a specific in app "screen grab" that is different then command shift 4'ing?

Message 15 of 17
ckVCFWD

SO im gonna still say this tool sucks. change my mind. how am I to measure that actual distance of this slot curve end to curve end? and no, please do not tell me its 140 plus the two radii. It is not acceptable that the tool cant just measure without me having to know figures and do math. 

Message 16 of 17
jhackney1972

In the Animated GIF, I have activated Show Snap Points, in the Measure tool, and I am holding down the Ctrl (Windows) key as I select key points.

Measire in Sketch.gif

John Hackney
Retired

Message 17 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

@ckVCFWD 

Why not dimension it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report