Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook trackpad behavior (zoom / Orbit / Pan) randomly changes while designing

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
roach374
3281 Views, 39 Replies

Macbook trackpad behavior (zoom / Orbit / Pan) randomly changes while designing

Normally, The trackpad works great:

• Two finger scroll to pan
  • pinch to zoom
  • shift+two finger scroll to orbit

But every now and then (and this is happening multiple times a day now) the trackpad behavior changes to:

• Two finger scroll to zoom
  • Pan and orbit? NO SUCH FUNCTIONALITY

The only way to get out of this mode, and get the trackpad working correctly again is to toggle through the various mouse modes int he bottom tool bar, click "Window Selection" in the toolbar, drag and move the navigation cube in the top-right corner, and hope that things restore themselves. Eventually, something works, and the trackpad starts working normally again.

This used to happen pretty rarely, but some recent update seems to have made it so it happens all the time now.

Is this a bug?

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
roach374
in reply to: roach374

Most often randomness is that pinch-to-zoom will stop working (but pan and orbit work fine). this happens basically about every minute or two.

Message 3 of 40
roach374

Additional random mouse behaviors: 

- Design window randomly becomes non-responsive (clicking on components or "Free Move" handles has no effect. Instead a selection square is drawn when I click and drag).

- Data panel no longer opens designs when double-clicking. Instead I have to right-click and select "Open".

A workaround I've discovered: About 99% of the time, if I Cmd-Tab away from fusion and back, it will suddenly start recognizing the mouse again.

This seems to happen most often when I have more than one design open in tabs, and one of the designs is "complicated" (ie: more than a couple dozen components).

Message 4 of 40
roach374

Would be great to get some response here. this is still happening, and highly disruptive. For some behaviors (Fusion stops responding to mouse clicks), you can tab away and back to Fusion, and it starts working again. For others (Orbit, pan, zoom not working properly), nothing fixes it, short of restarting Fusion.

Message 5 of 40
emmdee

same here.

really annoying

seems now after upgrade to macOS big sur it is even worse.

not able to get back to pinch zoom/ orbit AT ALL!

Message 6 of 40
mohammed.aliTDPXK
in reply to: emmdee

Hello @roach374 @emmdee ,

sorry for the trouble you are facing, Can you please post a quick video on the issue you are facing?

Thanks!

Mohammed Adam Ali
Sr. SW Eng. Test
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 40
emmdee

Hi Mohammed

thanks for getting back. Can't really make a video of that, because it is about what it can't do anymore — Orbit, pan, zoom not working properly (this involves actual hand gestures on touchpad). 

NOW

I can only zoom in/out by "scrolling", NO PAN, NO ORBIT

BEFORE

I could

— ZOOM by PINCH

— PAN with two fingers

— ORBIT with 2 fingers & shift

This was a halfway natural, intuitive way of working, changing angles is key for me.

WITHOUT it feels very HANDICAPPED, makes me nuts…

I think this has been a known issue, I used to have it before myself, but it was sporadically and could be fixed at least temporarily with restart or sometimes by just grabbing the viewcube with the mouse.

but now knothing works. restart of fusion, restart of whole mac system. nothing.

So even without a video it should be pretty clear, isn't it?

Thanks for quick help…

Message 8 of 40
emmdee
in reply to: mohammed.aliTDPXK

Hi Mohammed

thanks for getting back. Can't really make a video of that, because it is
about what it can't do anymore — Orbit, pan, zoom not working properly
(this involves actual hand gestures on touchpad).

NOW

I can only zoom in/out by "scrolling", NO PAN, NO ORBIT

BEFORE

I could

— ZOOM by PINCH

— PAN with two fingers

— ORBIT with 2 fingers & shift

This was a halfway natural, intuitive way of working, changing angles is
key for me.

WITHOUT it feels very HANDICAPPED, makes me nuts…

I think this has been a known issue, I used to have it before myself, but
it was sporadically and could be fixed at least temporarily with restart or
sometimes by just grabbing the viewcube with the mouse.

but now knothing works. restart of fusion, restart of whole mac system.
nothing.

So even without a video it should be pretty clear, isn't it?

Thanks for quick help…
Message 9 of 40
mohale

Hi guys, 

Did you manage to find a solution to this? 

I am also having this problem and its really frustrating as I've always used the pinch to zoom way  for years and am constantly battling to use scroll to zoom. 

Cheers 

Message 10 of 40
mohammed.aliTDPXK
in reply to: mohale

Hello @mohale ,

We have a known issue with pinch zoom/pan and orbit.

At present I am not sure how much time it might take for this item to fix, but surely pretty soon you can see the fix for this.

Thanks!

Mohammed Adam Ali
Sr. SW Eng. Test
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 40
PhDEdd

I've experienced this problem for awhile too. Complete loss of panning after not using Fusion 360 for awhile or putting laptop to sleep and reopening.

Even if there's no solution for awhile (which is strange, as a working front-end UI should be #1), is it at least possible to have some way to reset it without restarting fusion entirely? I've tried opening Preferences, changing the mouse settings and reapplying to no avail...

I agree with the others – it completely kills productivity. Hard to believe such a widespread and pronounced issue has been ongoing for years.

Edit: known issue since 22/2/2021: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Fus... 😞

Message 12 of 40

This bug is not yet fixed, and it is completely ruining my experience with this CAD package. Do y'all have any update on this?

Message 13 of 40
adobe005forquan

I was able to fix this by just simply quit and reopen the file that I was working on

Message 14 of 40
garthwebb

I have this issues as well.  Its near constant. This has been happening for over three years at this point; does nobody at AutoDesk test with a Mac laptop?

Message 15 of 40
emmdee
in reply to: garthwebb

I'm afraid nobody gives a sh##, at least in product development.
I've tried to raise this issue various times over a couple of years now.

when fusion came out I loved it for how smooth it worked on a mac natively - WITH TRACKPAD GESTURES FOR ORBITING. then all of a sudden it stopped working and there is no way to get it back. tried clean re-install, manually too. migrated to new macbook pro, updated macOS... nothing. SO FRUSTRATING.

maybe you should contact support, too. maybe multiple times even. this forum will not help improve anything, it's like anonymous alcoholics, we're supposed to help each other - but there's nothing we can do.

good luck!

Message 16 of 40
mohammed.aliTDPXK

Hello @emmdee ,

Sorry for the trouble you are facing and we already have this issue in our system.

I will surely communicate your concerns with the team but at this point I cannot ensure when we can get a fix for this. 

One quick way to fix this is to restart Fusion.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Fus...

Mohammed Adam Ali
Sr. SW Eng. Test
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 40
waggonerphilip

It's a shame. Personally, I'm making the switch to Onshape now. I would highly recommend you check them out. They're one of the fastest-growing CAD systems, and I can see why. Better modeling, assembly structure, drawings, etc. Plus navigation/performance on my Mac with a trackpad is fantastic. 

Message 18 of 40
waggonerphilip

@emmdee It's a shame. Personally, I'm making the switch to Onshape now. I would highly recommend you check them out. They're one of the fastest-growing CAD systems, and I can see why. Better modeling, assembly structure, drawings, etc. Plus navigation/performance on my Mac with a trackpad is fantastic. 

Message 19 of 40
emmdee

Thanks Moahmmed

but I'm afraid this won't help, again.

THIS ISN'T EVEN THE SAME ISSUE.
restarting doesn't fix anything.
neither does reinstalling.
THE ISSUE IS PERMANENT.

IT NEEDS TO BE – REALLY - ADDRESSED IN THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM/ PLAN.

I've been getting these "automatic" answers for years now.

This type of customer support doesn't solve anything, it may look like it at your end.
In reality it only increases frustration and the reason you don't hear about it any more isn't because it's solved, it's because of resignation, giving up.

This way you'll only lose customers who switch to ONSHAPE or others like I am considering, too.

Message 20 of 40
emmdee
in reply to: waggonerphilip

thanks
I will check out ONSHAPE
still hoping that the FUSION TEAM finally starts to listen and get this sorted..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums