Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low poly model to flat pattern

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Phweech
256 Views, 9 Replies

Low poly model to flat pattern

Hi team,

I'm relatively new to Fusion 360 so apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology. I am working on a low poly model of a rabbit, which I hope to be able to produce a flat pattern from to get it laser cut from 2mm MS and Tig weld together to create a sculpture. 

https://a360.co/3TYL1sM

The rabbit is meshed into a low poly shape in fusion, how break it down into the separate faces and then into a flat pattern so I can get it laser cut? Any help is appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jhackney1972
in reply to: Phweech

Question: Do you wish to have "every" surface created as an independent panel or do you want to combine some adjacent panels together and then flatten them into one sheet you will have to bend at assembly.  For example: on the top of the model nose, you can create a joined sheet metal panel, you can flatten, or you can keep all three panels separate.

You, of course cannot do this trick on all panels but it can be applied to some.

Sheet Metal Panel.jpgThree Panels.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 10
Phweech

Thanks for the quick reply @jhackney1972 

I would like to break it down to each individual panel if possible. The plan is to put a 45 degree bevel on the inside of each triangle so that it can be welded together with a relatively sharp join. I would expect folding it in the press break would be difficult to get the correct angle and also it might cause the material to stretch and deform leading to fitment issues along the line.

If there is a tutorial on this please feel free to point in me in that direction, I assume I can't find it because I'm using the wrong terminology? Thanks again!

Message 4 of 10
jhackney1972

Are you using a Subscription License of Fusion 360?  There are a couple of directions to take on this model but which one to pursue depends on your license type.  A Fusion 360 Personal license does not have some functions that will help in this model. Please advise.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 10
Phweech

I have a basic fusion 360 subscription currently, does the solution to this require a subscription to one of the add ons like the nesting and fabrication extension? 

Message 6 of 10
jhackney1972

No, but the Personal License does not have the "Arrange" function which is the non-extension version of Nesting.  Ok, I will make my video and model.  I will warn you, this is going to be a huge job on your part.  I will only be demoing on a few pieces.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 10
Phweech

Thanks so much for your help on this so far, I appreciate this is going to be a pretty big job! 

Message 8 of 10
jhackney1950

I switched to my Fusion 360 Personal License to be sure I did not use any function or command not available to you.  In the video I show you how to create a body panel for each flat section of the model.  The Thicken command, which I used, can create Components but since you do not have access to the "Arrange" command, components are not needed.  I did not show it but the little face I Deleted, to get a individual surface model can be replaced when you finally need it using the Patch command and then the same Thicken process is used for that panel.

Let me know if you have questions and I will try to help.  This is a huge job because there are a lot of panels in your model.  I did not check all but if you run into one that is not flat, you may need a different process.  Good Luck!

Message 9 of 10
jhackney1972

You may have noticed that my Forum handle switch from @jhackney1972 to @jhackney1950 in my last message.  This is due to me switching to my Fusion 360 Personal license.  If you are so inclined to select the "Accept Solution" icon, please select one of my @jhackney1972 posts. 

Since you are new to the Forum, I want to bring something to your attention. When responding to a post from someone, do not use the "Post Reply" icon as this will address your post to yourself. Instead use the "Reply" icon on the post you are responding to address your post to that person. Look back at the messages in this post and you will see what I mean.

Thanks

John Hackney
Retired

Message 10 of 10
Phweech
in reply to: jhackney1950

Thanks a million for your help and advice, it certainly gets the ball rolling for me on this project. Next I need to work out if it is possible to break it down to a flat pattern for laser cutting. I'll try to work that out from some more online tutorials but thanks so much for the help so far.

Also noted on the replies, hopefully I've done it right this time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report