Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lofting Over Sharp Radius

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Ian.c.Stitt
298 Views, 9 Replies

Lofting Over Sharp Radius

I am trying to create an adapter that goes from a 2 3/16 to 2 1/8 in a 90 degree bend while minimizing the vertical distance it must travel. Basically I want the adapter to start turning direction and "adapting" it's diameter right off of the one plane to the other, but when I try to run a loft it gives me errors and says it is self intersecting. I cannot to save my life get this radius to work. Any help would be appreciated in getting this part to work and I have my sketch geometry attached below. Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Ian.c.Stitt

Sweep with Path and Guide rail may be acceptable.

More rails for a Loft if that does not work for you.  (Full solid with Shell)

swgrdb1.PNG

Might help...

Message 3 of 10
g-andresen

Hi,

try 2 rails for loft as @davebYYPCU recommended

1. Create  intersection points in the sketch and connect them with a spline or lines/fillets
2. loft with 2 rails
3. Shell from body

günther

Message 4 of 10
Ian.c.Stitt

Wonderful! Thank you guys very much!

Message 5 of 10

Following the screenshot in the OP you would not need a loft.

A sketch for a sweep profile and another sketch for a sweep path would be sufficient.

TrippyLighting_0-1718215624067.png

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
g-andresen
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi,

@TrippyLighting wrote:

Following the screenshot in the OP you would not need a loft.

A sketch for a sweep profile and another sketch for a sweep path would be sufficient.

The diameters are (intentionally or not?) not identical.

günther

Message 7 of 10
TrippyLighting
in reply to: g-andresen

Hmmm..K, 3 sketches and a sweep with guide rail. Sketch 2 isn't really needed.

TrippyLighting_0-1718218214224.png

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Ian.c.Stitt

Can I loft along 4 rails to have the sides bellow out a little before sweeping down? And yes the diameters are not identical purposefully; is sketch 2 still not necessary?

Message 9 of 10
davebYYPCU

to have the sides bellow out a little before sweeping down?

Yep, be careful what you ask for.  My original Sweep with Guide Rail did not make the bulge, just adjusted the diameters on the way.  The 2 side rails would likely need some tricky construction, unless you describe the limitations to the bulge.

Might help...

Message 10 of 10
Ian.c.Stitt

When I try to do the same intersect and connect with a spline it lets me select the circles to intersect but the purple snap points don't appear. I have tried in the existing sketch, a new one, and a new sketch on a plane parallel with the "bulge" feature. Not sure why I can't just do the same thing as before again just with a different shape of guide rail. Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report