Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported DXF file containing irregular circles has thousands of lines and points rather than just complete circles

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
asteffel
251 Views, 14 Replies

Imported DXF file containing irregular circles has thousands of lines and points rather than just complete circles

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thankyou for taking the time to look at my post. I am a total newbie to F360 and only use it on the odd occasion so please forgive my ignorance and lack of terminology.

I have imported a DXF file of a series of irregular shaped circles into my design and want to modify the pattern to suit, but each circle has a huge amount of lines and points instead of just 1 complete line. How do I make each circle into a simple whole shape which contains just 1 line? TIA

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Warmingup1953
in reply to: asteffel

Can you share the .dxf? And how was it created?

Message 3 of 15
asteffel
in reply to: Warmingup1953

Thanks for replying.

I'm not too sure how it was created. I've included the DXF file (as a .zip) hope it goes through.

Message 4 of 15
davebYYPCU

I had a close look, those are not circles, and I hazard a guess there is not supposed to be any circles.

Closed loop is the best description.

Fusion is not really the software for this type of sketch.

What is the planned output you want from inputting this to Fusion?

Message 5 of 15
Warmingup1953

Yes file is usable but as others have noted these are not Circles.  Screenshot 2023-11-20 174508.jpg

You could "build on top of this"as a template?

Message 6 of 15
asteffel
in reply to: davebYYPCU

So the end result I'm wanting (if I understand your question correctly) is to create a new design based off this current one by utilizing its "closed loop" shapes. Basicly, I was after an easier method to draw 500-ish circular shapes that is loosely based off this design rather than painfully drawing each individual one.

Message 7 of 15
asteffel

How do you mean "use as a template"? I was hoping the imported file would offer an easy solution to draw a hole heap of circular shapes by just copying and pasting them (or similar) into my design. Do you think that is possible?

Message 8 of 15
Warmingup1953

I use software to cut on my CNC router that can identify and drill a centre hole in each irregular shape but that won't help you! No sorry I can't see any way other than re-sketching based loosely on this pattern that you have found visually appealing. I don't think the CAM workspace in Fusion 360 has similar but others here may know.

Message 9 of 15
asteffel

Ok, thanks. Hopefully someone can help me here.

Message 10 of 15
Warmingup1953

2 point circles will be pretty speedy.2 point circles.jpg

Message 11 of 15
asteffel

Yeah thanks Warmingup1953, but it can't be actual circles.

Message 12 of 15
Warmingup1953

Ok, final tilt at the Windmill....Could this work? 476 I think it is Bodies?dots.jpg

Message 13 of 15
asteffel

That's looking closer to what is needed. Is there a way to "reverse" the extrusion to isolate a 2D pattern?

Message 14 of 15
Warmingup1953

Yes I imagine so.  But the big issue is the large number items...Exactly what are you attempting? and can it be done just with the file as is?

Message 15 of 15
asteffel

Thanks for your help and time spent Warmingup1953😀. What I have done is, painfully drawn up half of the shapes and mirrored that to make up the rest🙄. "That'll do pig... That'll do" - Babe 🤣

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report