Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import with exact size SVG organic shape

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
infoRQ9LS
191 Views, 4 Replies

Import with exact size SVG organic shape

Hi all, 

This should be so simple but somehow I can't find the solution. I have an SVG file which is an organic shape. When imported I would like to make sure it is the exact measurements, so I would like to say: length x width is for instance 110 x 80mm. I see the function scale when imported but that is not what I need. I need to know the size and somehow seeing the total measurements (length/width) is not available. Since the shape is organic a workaround by selecting the outer points with the measure tool doesn't work, since the points are not on the outer sides of the shape. Is there a way to 1: See the width and height? 2: Enter specific parameters in a sketch or body with an organic shape. 

Looking forward to your reply!

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
HughesTooling
in reply to: infoRQ9LS

If you extrude the shape, the body's properties will give a bounding box (not 100% accurate though).

HughesTooling_0-1693492394976.png

Didn't realise how inaccurate the bounding box was. If you go to the manufacture workspace and create a setup you can get a more accurate size.

HughesTooling_1-1693492620140.png

You can then scale the body to the correct size. With a body you have the option for non uniform scaling, just enter the required size divided by the measured size to get the scale factor. So If the part measures 50 and you want 80 just enter 80/50 as the scale factor.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
infoRQ9LS
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks a lot Mark! The suggestion works. I’ll see if I can suggest an improvement to Autodesk since the work around is a bit time consuming. (I have quite some items that would need this workaround) but for now you helped me out a bunch!

Message 4 of 5
HughesTooling
in reply to: infoRQ9LS

There is another workaround demonstrated in the video below but needs 2 points to measure between. Note, sketches can only be uniformly scaled. You need to have the scale sketch on first dimension enabled in preferences for this to work.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
infoRQ9LS
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thank you! I tried this tutorial before going to this forum, but unfortunately, it didn't work with the organic shape I have. There are no points to select where the bounding box should be since it's a curved line.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums