Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a elliptical-section coil?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
tormy.vancool
257 Views, 14 Replies

How to make a elliptical-section coil?

I'm struggling with this since coils seem to be only circular.

My need is to creata a coil with a circular-section wire.
But the section of the coil itself should be elliptical.

how can I do it please?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Take a look at the attached file. Just edit the user parameters and the CoilForm sketch to your specs.

HughesTooling_0-1699617984616.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15

@tormy.vancool wrote:

My need is to create a coil with a circular-section wire.
But the section of the coil itself should be elliptical.

how can I do it please?

Bit confused by this. I think you want an elliptical coil, I'm unsure about the bit about section.

Try the attached. I don't really like it but using path with guide rail doesn't keep the round section.

This is with a guide surface.

HughesTooling_0-1699619026462.png

And this with a guide rail. Creates a single surface but very distorted. You might get better results is the ellipse is more circular.

HughesTooling_1-1699619102708.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15

Mmm ... ys it's distorted. Too much distorted. the resulting profile should be very linear ... 

Message 5 of 15

Just for reference this is what I get with a more circular ellipse (45x50) and just using a guide rail. File's attached.

HughesTooling_0-1699619376905.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 6 of 15

Yes this is a workaround indeed. I understood how it works. Thank you so much for the effort. However it's very cumbersome and not precise. I hope in the future Fusion 360 will have the possibility to add the parameter directly in Helix to get better results

Message 7 of 15

Here's the file I posted to your other post. Note, you could save this as a part then insert into other designs to reuse so you don't need to recreate each time.

HughesTooling_0-1699620607657.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 15

???

See Attached.

Message 9 of 15

Guys both of you have posted now the solution. That's way better.

I have to go through all what you did in order to learn how to do it. because the important is to understand each step

Message 10 of 15

I've found a bit of a problem. This method using a Sweep to create a path tends to fail if you don't use full turns. The use of pipe rather than a sweep for the wire is good but doesn't seem to work well with partial turns.

With 30 turns I get a good coil.

HughesTooling_0-1699622303559.png

But with 29.985 like your sample design i get this. Probably only a display problem but using detail controls and setting the mesh to high doesn't help.

HughesTooling_1-1699622537214.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 11 of 15

@TheCADWhisperer Don't know if you did this for a reason but having the sweep the same diameter as the longest side of the ellipse means you get a broken path and a segmented pipe.

Clipboard01.png

If you make the sweep a bit bigger you get a single path.

Clipboard03.png

and no segmentation.

Clipboard02.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 12 of 15

Thanks to you guys really by heart. I was able to make it. Without your hint, it was for me impossible

tormyvancool_0-1699623474670.png

Message 13 of 15

@HughesTooling 

Oops, I was in a hurry and didn’t check.

This is so much easier in Autodesk Inventor Professional that I got aggravated jumping through extra steps in Fusion (that didn’t work anyhow).

Message 14 of 15

I have Inventor now, but I'm getting used to Fusion more because I had to finish some project on it ...

Message 15 of 15

Guys thank you so much. I completed the video I was working on it to show the anatomy of a Vacuum Tube.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report