Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I send multiple bodies to my 3D printer Software(Cura)? Starting to get mad....

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
NVNDO
1093 Views, 4 Replies

How can I send multiple bodies to my 3D printer Software(Cura)? Starting to get mad....

Hi everyone,

I'm about to loose my mind... Since 2 days I'm trying to figure out how to send several bodies to my printing software, but no post, no video, no advice could help.

Previously I would create a folder, drop all necessary bodies in, select the folder, go to 3D-print - Done!

But that unfortunately doesn't work anymore.... I can't understand why and how to procede now...

In the design (see below) I want to send all 4 legs (selected - blue color) as individual bodies to Cura.  

NVNDO_0-1683144268988.png

I'm able to send them, but ONLY in their current position, so they're treated as one body which does not work for me as I need to individually place them onto the build-plate.

Unfortunately the "Save as STL" option which was recommended in every second post and video I've seen, is not available anymore. Also I can't find the "Send as individual bodies" option, in case that would actually help)

I need to export them all together but have them as individual objects in my printer software.

Pls help!! 

With best regards

Nando

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: NVNDO

The tool you are looking for is named "Save as Mesh".  In the screen capture I have right mouse clicked on the top level assembly and chosen Save as Mesh.  As you can see you can save one file or one file per body in one of three formats.  You can also send the result directly to your 3D Printing software or save the files to disk.

Save as Mesh.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5
davebYYPCU

Send one.

Copy / mirror in the Slicer.

Might help.....

Message 4 of 5
NVNDO
in reply to: jhackney1972

After spending a pretty long time trying to figure out the exact process...

...here a detailed walk-through:

In order to just print the feet:

Screenshot (94).png

1. FIRST deselect ALL other (not wanted) parts.

Screenshot (95).png

2. Right click on your project - "Save as Mesh" - select "One File Per Body".

( like previously explained by @jhackney1972 )

Screenshot (96).png

3. Then select the remaining folder containing the desired parts and click "OK"

Screenshot (99).png

4. Now rename (might be important), select a location & "Safe"

Screenshot (100).png

5. Open the folder and Drag&Drop the selected files into the Slicer. 

Screenshot (102).png

@jhackney1972  thx anyways! Your comment finally made me find the way! 🙂

@davebYYPCU that of course works as well. In fact, that's how I previously printed the parts, but I really wanted to know (why the previous select&print does not work anymore) and how it works now. 

Message 5 of 5
SmartAlexLLC

There is a MUCH easier way in both Simplify 3D and Ultimaker Cura, with no need to save/open mesh(es). Since I am coming from Simplify 3D and now using Cura with an S7, I will list the steps for both.

• For Simplify3D (tested in 4.1.2), after opening the app once:
    • 1) Go to Tools, options and ensure "Restore workspace on startup" is checked.smartalexllc_0-1698212628408.png 
    • 2) Close Simplify 3D.
    • 3) In Fusion 360, go to File, 3D print, select your component/body in question and send to 3D print utility.
    • 4) Wait for Simplify 3D to open, and review the part(s).
      • If you wish to add more parts, close Simplify 3D and repeat steps 3 and 4.

• For Ultimaker Cura (tested in 5.5.0), after opening the app:
    • 1) Go to Preferences, Configure Cura... and ensure "Use a single instance of Cura" is checked and "Clear buildplate before loading model into the single instance" is unchecked! smartalexllc_2-1698213021379.png
    • 2) In Fusion 360, go to File, 3D print, select your component/body in question and send to 3D print utility.
    • 3) Wait for Cura to open, if not already, and review the part(s).
      • If you wish to add more parts, leave Cura open (using single instance) and repeat steps 2 and 3. 

Note: In either application, parts will be exported to the same location in both slicers, so be sure to move your parts around to locate and reveal all expected parts present in the slicer app or on the virtual build platform!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report