Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move a body into a group?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
alanrickfusion360
303 Views, 7 Replies

How can I move a body into a group?

How can I move a body into a group? Every time I select the body and drop it into a group it ignores my effort and the body is not added to the group. Video attached. It's driving me crazy but I'm sure the software is not to blame.

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

The video will explain the process.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 8

Great video John, unfortunately the problem remains (video). I can create a new group but I cannot select that group to move the body into it.  Maybe it's because I didn't create the design from scratch but downloaded it from the internet as a fusion file. 

Message 4 of 8

Please attach your model.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 8

Here you go... it's very wonky as I'm a newbie struggling with many aspects.

I'm hoping to join the fastner and belt-holder to each half of the box.

Message 6 of 8

You are trying to move a body into a Body Group inside a Component, this is not possible.  You can group bodies belonging to the component together but from from outside the component.  I do not think this is what you want anyway.  If you are trying to attach the Belt Holder and the Fastener bodies to the Top component, you need to create them as components and use Joints to connect them together.  As it is now, you may have to convert them from bodies to components.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 8

I don't have much advice to give as to why it's not letting you move a body into that group. For me it's often an issue of considering what objects/groups/components existed when the body was created and trying to move whatever my target is, closer to that state temporally in the timeline. If that makes any sense...

That said, moving bodies around, either by rehosting them like this, or via copy & paste can really cause problems later. See this thread. There are enough bugs in this flow that I really try to avoid it. It works often enough, but boy when it fails, it's a document destroying nightmare. 

Message 8 of 8

Thanks. I redid parts to avoid separate bodies. That might have worked. I'll revisit some of the getting-started videos to see how I could have handled this better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report