Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 - Mac: Orbit using trackpad no longer working

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
ferrum-d
6013 Views, 55 Replies

Fusion 360 - Mac: Orbit using trackpad no longer working

Hi

The Orbit function using the macbook's trackpad & Shift key is gone.

it used to be "on / off" for some while, usually when the app had been running for a longer time the orbit function using the trackpad two finger-gesture & Shift stopped working.  then restarting Fusion usually solved the issue.

But since this morning (latest update) it is gone alltogether as it seems.

This is quite annoying as that was the fastest and most convenient way to orbit around your model.

any chance to get it back working?

thanks

55 REPLIES 55
Message 2 of 56
fabio7alves
in reply to: ferrum-d

Same here. So Strange because I don't remember changing any setting 

Message 3 of 56
wkwok
in reply to: ferrum-d

I used to have this problem, and get it very sporadically now. The only things I've found to help are:

1. Click on home and the various planes/surfaces in the navigation cube in the top right of Fusion 360. Sometimes toggling it around gets me back orbit control.

2. or Change application focus, by selecting or command tab to another application and the command tab back to Fusion

3. or restart Fusion 360

I know it isn't much, but hope it helps you at least some of the time.

Message 4 of 56
samykamkar
in reply to: wkwok

This was working a few days ago for me and no longer working. I don't even think there was a software update. I tried the suggestions and also restored defaults for Preferences and still no luck. Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 56
Focus54
in reply to: samykamkar

I have been fussing with terrible touchpad issues with Fusion 360. Intermittent and sticky. Usually it will free itself with constant movements but is very frustrating. The good news is... There is a fix!!!  It is not just a fix for the basic operation but it provide super fast navigation to exact view/angle you need to perform the operation you need. I didn't realize how terrible my navigation was until I installed this tiny plugin fix. My understanding is that it gives control back to Mac OS for gestures and provide optimized behavior in fusion. This has completely changed my productivity and I highly recommend for all Mac/trackpad users of fusion 360.

Check out the video to see improved pan. Also it eliminated all my sticking issues. The only thing I don't understand is why this isn't implemented in standard Fusion 360. Maybe it should be but I don't know the issues involved. Seems like a no brainer to me.

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=2223881439415941299&appLang=en&os=Mac

fusion.pravdomil.com

Message 6 of 56
Phil.E
in reply to: Focus54

@Focus54

Hi and welcome to the Fusion 360 community.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've logged an improvement request (internal reference FUS-39043) that asks to look at this issue.

To answer your question: why is this not already implemented? I would say that most issues reported by customers involving trackpad are actually not 100% reproducible by most users. This opinion of mine is based on years of using MacBook Pro to extensively test Fusion 360. The problems don't happen to everyone, and for my own testing, can be hard to reproduce, if not completely elusive. I would not have taught classes at the last 4 Autodesk University events using nothing but trackpad if I did not have this confidence. I also work with a lot of customers that report no such issues.

It has always bothered me that some users find these issues constantly, while some never find them. So thanks for the heads up, it's now in the hopper. I'll push for some investigation, but there are no promises at this time for a fix inside Fusion 360. Anyone who has issues should feel welcome to try the link you posted. Please let us know what you find!

Thanks!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 56
Focus54
in reply to: Phil.E

Thanks for the reply Phil. I just want to add something to this thread... It seems to me there are 2 issues here...

1) stability and consistency in navigation (however the intended functions are designed to work)

2) efficiency of the method/logic behind the navigation (assuming everything is actually working as intended)

I have spent many hours (not as many as you I am sure of that) using Fusion 360 on 3 different MBP models and have always used the trackpad exclusively.  I have only seen a problem with issue #1 above (with minor exceptions) with my latest MBP.  However once I upgraded to this 3rd MBP it was so inconsistent and sticky that I spent 2 days looking for a solution because Fusion 360 was hardly usable. That's when I stubbled across the plugin fix above. However, I was only thinking the trackpad either worked or didn't work. Once I tried this plugin, I was shocked to discover how relatively poor the navigation is in Fusion 360 (with trackpad) even when it was working. This is why I asked why doesn't Fusion 360 use the native MacOS gestures - not because of stability (although this is reason enough) but because of the vastly improved functionality and efficiency that comes from free in the OS.

I am very curious how you would compare your current navigation experiences with those when the plugin is used. 

Thanks again for giving this your attention. I just wish the best for all those working on Fusion 360 because it's a super app!

Message 8 of 56
nils_winkler

Hello,

I'm new to Fusion 360, used it rarely but I've had this problem for three or four times. I've read in the Internet that a reinstallation will fix this problem. Since most data is stored in the cloud and I was just playing around to get familar with it, I reinstalled Fusion. This fixed the problem for some time.

But it happend again, so I thought there must be an other solution. I restarted the MacBook and the problem was gone... for some days.

But now it is present again... and I don't like to reinstall Fusion again every time...

Neither orbit nor pan is working, just zooming using the Touchpad. The shift key seems to be ignored by Fusion...

Is it possible to reset just the settings to default, maybe this will help to fix the problem?

Regards

Nils

Message 9 of 56
Phil.E
in reply to: nils_winkler

Please do not reinstall Fusion. That advice should only be given when someone cannot access the application. Rarely does it affect things like this.

This bug is seen from a few places:

1. Customer uses hotkeys to switch to another application, and back to Fusion. Sometimes it happens when you pick Fusion from the dock. Are you doing this?

2. People leave Fusion running and put their computer to sleep. This causes the trackpad drivers in MacOS to crash and Fusion has no way to waken them when the customer opens their computer and begins to use Fusion again. Solution is to close Fusion if your mac is going to be sleeping. Is this happening for you?

Both of these issues are known, and there are blocking dependencies preventing a fix. If it's not these two, can you describe how it happens? 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 56
nils_winkler

Dear Phil,

1. yes, sometimes I minimize programs to the dock and pick them up from there without closing them, also Fusion.

2. and yes, often I keep Fusion running while putting my MacBook to sleep.

But the last time this bug happens I used Fusion without any problem and shut it down regulary. After starting it again (I usually do not shut down the Mac, just put it to sleep) serveral days later the bug appeared.

Sometimes the mac is running and neither mouse nor keyboard is reacting for a couple of seconds (about once a month or so) and I think the keyboard and trackpad driver has been crashed (or the USB driver). Usually the mac will go back to work like nothing happend. During this time music or videos are still played without a lack or interruption. But I haven't found if there is a log where I could have a look at.

Regards

Nils

Message 11 of 56

I can confirm that installing the add-in mentioned above is fantastic! I highly recommend it as well. It fixes the problem entirely and outperforms the original tracking/pan/zoom/orbit functions even at the best of times. I had it installed in about 30 secs and it vastly improved the whole Fusion 360 experience.

Message 12 of 56
ezh25pr
in reply to: kenbouchard1994

I'm also experiencing the same issue. Can't work only with touchpad anymore in Fusion 360...

And, unfortunately, this plugin doesn't support macOS Catalina.

Autodesk, please fix this bug!

Message 13 of 56
Focus54
in reply to: ezh25pr

Please please please fix. This is a show stopper for us. The method of implementation used by this plugin is a viable solution and has worked well for years. Of course we can't know the internal details or issues but please talk to us and help find solution. Thank you!

Message 14 of 56
ericvogler

Hi, another F360 user here with the same problem.

Everything was fine on my 2020 MBP running Catalina, for a few days. Then trackpad orbit and pan stopped working. 

It doesn't seem to come and go, it just doesn't work 100% of the time.

It works fine with a mouse. (Btw, the problem didn't start when I plugged in a mouse).

I've rebooted my system many times. I reinstalled F360.

The trackpad does work otherwise with F360 (single click is normal, two-finger click behaves like a right mouse button, two-finger scroll zooms).

I've tried toggling "Use gesture-based view navigation".

I've made sure that any software that might affect the trackpad isn't running.

I didn't install any other 3rd-party software at the time trackpad orbit stopped working. 

There may have been a minor OS update that roughly coincided with the problem starting.

On the plus side, I can replicate the problem (i.e. it never works).

My Fusion 360 experience has otherwise been great! I hope to get this bug worked out.

Thanks for any help,

Eric

Message 15 of 56
Phil.E
in reply to: ericvogler

Hi,

Thanks for posting. What you describe sounds like Fusion's gestures are not running at all, those are macOS system gestures that Fusion is receiving - and not turning into Fusion gestures.

These are the Fusion 360 trackpad gestures:

Trackpad.png

Turning on "gesture based view navigation":

1. Open preferences, click the box for gesture navigation.
  2. Close preferences, you may need to restart Fusion.
  3. Do not log out when you restart Fusion

Does this help?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 56
ericvogler

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the "Use gesture-based navigation" setting isn't helping. I tried turning if off, restarting, turning it back on, and restarting again, a couple of times, to no avail.

Message 17 of 56
Phil.E

And I'm guessing when you reinstalled that was after the clean uninstall steps.

You could try an add-in from the Fusion 360 appstore. It uses the native macOS gestures rather than Fusion gestures, with one caveat: you need to hold shift to scroll the data panel or timeline. It's a little different but if it works would show another detail about the issue you face.

Here is the store, the app is called native trackpad.

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Home/Index

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 56
ericvogler

Ok, I installed it. It seems to solve 2/3 of the problem. It fixes pinch-to-zoom and 2-finger pan, but it doesn't fix shift-2-finger orbit. (Also zoom doesn't zoom to the cursor, but unlike the orbit problem, I think I could live with that).

I looked at the source code and it indeed only seems to be trying to fix pan and zoom, but not orbit.

Another interesting note is that the description at the Autodesk App Store says "macOS Catalina is not supported", but it actually does work. I think people were having problems with Catalina security settings initially.

Message 19 of 56
Phil.E

Thanks for the update.

What you are describing is the exact same result as turning off gesture navigation in preferences and also using the native trackpad app.

This tells me Fusion is not reading preferences somehow. You mentioned turning "on" gestures, and restarting, and finding no difference in trackpad response. After restarting, when that happens, is the choice in preferences also still "on"?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 56
ericvogler

Ya, the gestures setting is still on if I set it on and restart.

It does sound plausible that Fusion isn't actually receiving the message about gestures, since there has been no change in its behavior any time I have changed that setting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report