Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Graphics Engine becomes slow and unresponsive

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Naureka
783 Views, 18 Replies

Fusion 360 Graphics Engine becomes slow and unresponsive

Hello

I've been experiencing seriuous performance degradation in Fusion 360 Design workspace during last few weeks. Whole graphics interface becomes super slow and unresponsive - like playing a 5 FPS game. This happens while navigating 3D space or editing a sketch. This makes any work practially impossible. Even a simple operation like viewport rotation causes a rapid surge in GPU usage - even with some basic geometry like a sigle cube.

Just to rule some factors out:

• I experience the same issue on 2 workstations with different hardware configuration, different GPU's and drivers, and different OS (Windows 10 and Windows 11). So this is not related to specific machine.
  • Both computers have hi-end components and performed great so far.
  • There are no F360 background tasks running (like pending updates etc)
  • Internet connection is fast and stable
  • This issue happens even with a single file opened, with some super basic geometry (like a basic cube). So large assembly and long design history is not a cause of this.
  • Usually after restarting F360 the problem goes away and performance returns to normal. But overall performace feels a bit random - sometimes everything works lightspeed, sometimes it's barely usable.
  • I tried switching between DirectX and OpenGL display drivers with no effect.
  • I'm using F360 for years and I never had any performace issues so far. The only graphics performance drops were with a very large assemblies, but this is rather normal. Problems started after last update.

What may be the cause of such behaviour and how to prevent it? Restarting F360 few times a day is rather frustrating. Is it any known bug? If yes - Is it going to be fixed any time soon?

Labels (3)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
LishuangLu
in reply to: Naureka

Hi @Naureka, thanks for reporting! 

This is not a known performance issue to us, would you please help collect more info for us to diagnose the problem? 

1. Would you please follow this article to collect logs from your machine? https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-manually-co...
  2. Can you help follow the "How to collect Performance Profiling Data.pdf" to collect the profiling data from your Fusion? This will be pretty helpful for our Dev to investigate where the problem happens.  
  3. As a possible workaround, could you please try reset your Preference and see if the performance issue still happens? 

Look forward to your reply. Thanks a lot for the support!

Regards, 

-Lisa

Message 3 of 19
Naureka

Ok, thanks for reply. I'll try to collect some performance data and send it in private message. But please keep in mind that this issue is not machine specific. I experience it on 2 different workstations with very different specs.

What I observed so far is that this performance issue can be usually solved by re-opening the file. Normally, afer I open a new design file the graphic performance is degraded for a couple of seconds, which may be considered a normal behaviour. Ususually when the model fully loads and I rotate it a few times the performance is fine.

But recently I started to experience a situation where this doesn't resolve. Graphics is slow and choppy all the time, sometimes it's barely usable. But when I close, and re-open the model the graphic performance is great. Another thing that I observed is when I close a "slow" design file the whole GUI dissapears for a few seconds.

Message 4 of 19
LishuangLu

Hi @Naureka, how about the performance now? Have you tried with restore your fusion's preference? 

If the probelm still happens, can you help record the profiling data for us to investigate? 

Thanks so much for your help!

Regards, 

-Lisa

Message 5 of 19
Naureka

Hi

Please give me a few more days. I need to capture a good moment with WPR. Performance seems to be a bit random here on both workstations I use.

I'm trying to figure out what might be triggering those sudden performance drops. Is it possible to send large files in private messages? Those WPR logs exceed 100MB even with just a couple of seconds of recording.

Message 6 of 19
LishuangLu

This is not urgent, Naureka. Please take your time to record the WPR, you can also share with me through other channels, such as one drive. Let me know if you have other questions. 

Thanks so much for supporting us on this! 

Regards, 

-Lisa

Message 7 of 19
Naureka

Hi

I captured a performance log from WPS and configuration data from F360 as you instructed. Download link was send in a private message.

The logs were captured during one of the events when opened model started to become very slow and unusable. This usually requires closing the file and reopening it. The data was captured on one workstation, but I experience identical issues on 2 different machines with very different configuration.

Meanwhile i made a clean manual uninstall of the F360 and that didn't help much. The issue still exists.

Message 8 of 19
LishuangLu

Thank you Naureka for capturing the profiling data! I have received your message, and will download it into local and request our developer's review and see what it is the problem. 

Please stay tuned. 

Thanks so much! 

Regards, 

-Lisa

Message 9 of 19
Naureka

Hi.

I've observed another strange behaviour - this perfomance drops seem to be somehow related to data panel. When I experience sudden perfomance drop i trigger the visibility of the data panel and the problem instantly goes away. When I hide the data panel - the graphic performance suddenly degrades and the framerate drops below any usable level, when i turn it back on - the performance is perfect again. Now I have a file open where I can reproduce this bug with 100% accuracy.

I also had to turn off the Windows DPI override setting yesterday, due to april update (it no longer works as expected). Instead I activated the preview feature "HighDPIScaling" and high "Use high-resolution graphics". Overall graphic performance and framerate skyrocketed. But sudden unexpected drops i reported in this topic still remain.

Message 10 of 19
LishuangLu

Hi Naureka, 

Thanks for updating your observations! 

Could I know wheter you are running with 4k resolution in your side? When you are encountering the slow graphics performance issue? And have you upgraded your graphics driver into the latest version from the vendor's download website? 

Meanwhile, it would be helpful if you can help me record a video to show the slowness in your side. 

Thanks so much! 

Regards, 

-Lisa

Message 11 of 19
Naureka

Hi

I recorded this short clip that demonstrates the issue. I have this simple geometry opened and I rotate it.

Please look at the framerate and GPU usage in the left lower corner (Kl/s) and GPU. When the data panel is closed the framerate drops to 10-15 FPS and GPU usage would be nearly 100%. Movement is choppy and F360 interface is barely usable.

When I open the data panel the framerate almost instantly jumps to 50-60 FPS and GPU use also drops significantly.

This happens frequently (even with data panel constatnly open). What I discovered that closing and opeining it usually fixes it and no restart or file reopening is needed. I'm using 4K monitor.

Message 12 of 19
LishuangLu

@Naureka Thanks so much for sharing the video with us! 

This is pretty helpful to understand your case. I can reproduce the problem in my side with 4k resolution which should be the root of the problem. And I've created a ticket FUS-127386 internally for further investigation. 

Will let you know if you have any progress on this. 

Thanks so much for your patience and support! 

Regards, 

-Lisa

Message 13 of 19
robQS72Z

I am experiencing the exact same issues since a few days.

When working in 4k (3840x2160) mode, it looks like a 4 FPS video game. When switching to any other mode (e.g. 2560x1440) gives back a normal response but as soon as I then go back to 4k it's all slow again.

I have notices this a few times before and a full restart of Windows 10 helps but I now have a data logger running on the background so restarting my PC is not an option for now.

Message 14 of 19
rui_wang
in reply to: robQS72Z

@robQS72Z, could you please share your machine hardware configuration with us? Thanks a lot.  

Message 15 of 19
robQS72Z
in reply to: rui_wang

My system is:

MSI MEG X570 ACE motherboard with AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor (3800 MHz) with 64 GB RAM

Palit nVidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6 GB with a 4k LG monitor connected on DisplayPort

On the software side I am running Windows 10, version 10.0.19045

with the nVidia driver: NV_DISPIG.INF_AMD64_7E5FD280EFAA5445\NVLDDMKM.SYS (version 31.0.15.3623)

I must add to this that I do switch between 1920 and 3840 back and forth quite a bit since I have one application that does not work well in 3840 mode

Message 16 of 19
Naureka

For me, this issue still remains unsolved after 5 months and couple of updates. F360 graphics engine performance still remains random. Sometimes it's super smooth, then suddenly it becomes barely usable (within the same design file). My observations so far:

• Overall graphics performance is somehow linked to to Data Panel visibility. F360 works smooth only when the data panel is visible.
  • Hiding the Data Panel makes the graphics performance slow and unusable - every time. Enabling it back again brings the FPS back to normal instantly. Because of this I have to work with Data Panel always opened.
  • I found a very easy and effective fix for situations when F360 suddenly becomes slow. I hide the data panel and enable it back on again. Performance would return to normal after a couple of seconds.
Message 17 of 19
robQS72Z

Unfortunately this does not work for me.

Rotating with my 3D mouse while hiding and re-enabling the panel does show that during a very short moment, when the system switched between both modes, the speed looks normal but as soon as the panel is completely gone or shown it's all back to slow updates again

Message 18 of 19
robQS72Z

This is bad ...

It seems like the slow motion movements are generated by a new feature (high DPI scaling) that was introduced.

This feature is turned on by default, resulting in slow motion movements for some (a lot ?) of Fusion 360 customers.

Turning it off seems to fix this for me right now

Please, please, please, do not switch on features like this or features that change the user interface without giving us the option to switch these on when they are introduced. It seems I keep coming back to the Fusion 360 forum from time to time because I have a problem with something that is not working anymore, or that has changed, to find that I am not the only one with this problem.

And would the proper way to respond to this not be to just ask me for my system configuration but to also help me in finding this preview feature.

Edit: unfortunately this "preview feature" is only available in Windows 😞

robQS72Z_0-1694425665936.png

Message 19 of 19
robQS72Z

This is really really bad ...

I had high DPI scaling switched off but somehow during a Fusion360 update it got turned on again.

On a 4k display, the High DPI scaling feature seems to make Fusion360 extremely slow - at least in my case.

If anyone has the same problem, try to switch the high DPI scaling feature off.

It can be found under Preferences (click on your use icon on the top right in Fusion360), select preferences and go to the Graphics - Display page as shown below. high DPI scaling is currently the top item on that page.

robQS72Z_2-1697952761108.png

For those who are loo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report