Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 freezes when placing base view in new drawing from design

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
steven.greep
274 Views, 8 Replies

Fusion 360 freezes when placing base view in new drawing from design

When trying to create a drawing from my design,  When I place the base view, the software gets hung up and never completes.    I am new to this software so maybe I am making some silly mistake.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: steven.greep

Please attach the "model" that is causing this error.  If you do not know how to attach your model, open it in Fusion360, select the File menu and then choose Export and save the .F3D file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section of a reply forum post to attach it.

Attachment.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9
steven.greep

Here is the .f3d file for the application I am struggling with.  I appreciate the help.

Message 4 of 9
jhackney1972

I have been diagnosing your model to drawing issue.  It seems to be caused by the spur gears.  If you isolate them and do all the rest of the components, there is no issue creating the base drawing.  I guess it is choking on all of the teeth especially since you are not using optimize in your patterns.  You are also patterning a lot of geometry.  If you edit your pattern in the second spur gear, 480 tooth, it gives you the warning about the pattern. No only this but you were patterning the complete body 480 times instead of just the teeth and fillets.  I re-constructed this gear to separate the teeth and the fillets from the pattern and it makes a world of difference.  You can make a 2D drawing of the gear now when before it would hang.  My model is attached isolated on the gear I modified.

You also have some nasty errors (red in your timeline) concerning deleting faces which I suppressed in my diagnosis.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 9
djlunty
in reply to: jhackney1972

@jhackney1972 

Hope this is not a hijack.  I have two questions regarding your file.  For the pattern of the tooth and fillets you patterned features.  Does it make any difference if you pattern the bodies of the tooth and fillets?

Just for interest, I did a "compute all" for your file and it took my computer about 4 minutes.    I am on a gaming notebook with the following

djlunty_0-1606793608589.png

and a NVIDIA GTX 1050 graphics card.   Tough question  - In the realm of Fusion modelling is this reasonable for this file?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Doug

Message 6 of 9
steven.greep

Thank you for your help with that.  I constructed the Spur gears using the Add-Ins function.  I used the SpurGear.dll file.  Would this problem still exist if I had used the SpurGear.py file instead?  I am trying to follow your steps to adjust the gear for each other gear, but find that I run into issues creating new faults with cascading operations.  I am just wondering if it would be easier for me to recreate new gears using the Add-Ins rather than adjusting the creations.  

Message 7 of 9
jhackney1972

I am not familiar with either one of the gear generation add-ins.  The main issue you were experiencing was that the Circular Pattern command was not using Optimize setting so you were getting an error.  The Circular Pattern command was also patterning the main body of the gear the same number of times as the teeth which adds to the overall complexity and generation time.  I will leave it at that, use an add-in you desire but make sure it is using the Optimize setting in the Circular Pattern command and if possible only pattern what you need to and not bodies that you do not.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 8 of 9
steven.greep

That makes a lot of sense.  I ended up recreating the gears and set the root fillet value to  "0" when creating.  This allowed all of the design to be placed in the drawing.  Thank you again for helping me resolve this issue.

Message 9 of 9
electronicgm

Fusion 360 2.0.17457 x86_64
Active Plan: Personal
Windows 10 Home 22H2 (19045.3570)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums