Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed export of generative outcomes for modeling/3D printing (Ed license)

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
avoss2J5KM
249 Views, 13 Replies

Failed export of generative outcomes for modeling/3D printing (Ed license)

Hey Folks.  I'm getting some outcomes from generative that I want to 3D print, maybe with some small modifications.  But when I try and export them I get a repeated error.  "Design Creation Failed."IMG_3338.jpgIMG_3339.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
henderh
in reply to: avoss2J5KM

Hi @avoss2J5KM,
Could you export the design setup and attach it here? (File > Export...)

Thank you,

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 14
avoss2J5KM
in reply to: henderh

Let me know if this works for you.

Message 4 of 14
henderh

Hi @avoss2J5KM,

Thank you for providing the study.

Fusion was able to create the design from outcome when I tried it. I'll ask the experts why they're failing for you.

Designs from outcome succeed.png

Could you attach the diagnostic files? With the design open use the Help pull-down > Support and Diagnostics > Diagnostic Log files. Then attach the zip file here.

Also, we're curious of the build number of Fusion you're using (Help > About will display it).

Best regards,

Hugh Henderson
Message 5 of 14
avoss2J5KM

Very cool.  Here is the diagnostic file.  

On my laptop I am running this version, but the failure that is the topic of the discussion was on a more powerful desktop at school, of which I am not sure yet the version.  I will try to export them on my laptop and see if that remedies the issue.  And I can follow up with the school version of autodesk next week.

Fusion 360 2.0.17954 arm64 [Native]
Active Plan: Student
macOS 14.3.1 (23D60) on Mac14,2

Message 6 of 14
avoss2J5KM

It exports fine on my laptop, so it must be an issue with the desktop computer at work and the version it is using.  

Message 7 of 14
henderh

Thank you @avoss2J5KM, glad to hear you found a temporary workaround.
The log files from the desktop computer will be helpful as well.

If there are network firewall issues, here are some articles on how to detect it:

Another fallback option is to use http://fusiononline.autodesk.com/

Hugh Henderson
Message 8 of 14
avoss2J5KM
in reply to: henderh

@henderh my latest runs on a similar project keep telling me "fusion encountered a problem and failed to complete."  The outcomes I can see are pretty much just the shape I started with.  I'm wondering where I am tripping it up.  The setup is to optimize the geometry for a 3 point flexural test we will do in my class after 3D printing the design in PLA.  I want to generate an optimized design that would outperform student designs in strength to weight ratio.  Please see attached.

Message 9 of 14

Hi @avoss2J5KM,

I believe the reason the volume isn't changing significantly is the load is too high (1000 N) for the specimen size (228mm x 20mm x 12mm) and the relatively weak PLA material.

i.e. All of the starting shape material volume is needed to try to achieve the 'Factor of safety limit' of 2.

The results in GD are:
Max Von Mises stress: 41.147 MPa

Min Factor of Safety: 0.486

Max Displacement: 3.762 mm

GD outcome PLA.png

If we use a similar setup in Simulation for a Static Stress study (attached) the results match quite closely for the same starting shape volume:

Von Mises stress: 45.382 MPa

Factor of Safety: 0.441

Displacement: 3.926 mm

Simulation - Displacement.pngSimulation - Safety Factor.pngSimulation - Stress.png

The outcome was able to export successfully (attached)

Hope this helps,

ps: this was @henderh replying, I was logged in using a different account.

Message 10 of 14

thank you for the quick response @fusion.redwoodteam

I had considered that that might have been the cause, and am now trying to re-run it with a safety factor of 1.  Thank you!

Message 11 of 14

Bad news, Friend.  I halved the force and dropped the safety factor to 1 and I'm still getting a bland old box.  I have had it create novel organic geometries for me on previous tries, and I'm not sure what is different here.  Perhaps the symmetry constraint is throwing it off?  or my "custom" PLA material?  

Message 12 of 14
henderh

Hi @avoss2J5KM,

I agree the relative weakness of the custom PLA material is preventing Generative Design from removing much material of the starting shape 'envelope'.

To generate more interesting shapes you could try:

1. Using a larger starting shape
  2. Use a stronger material than PLA
  3. Reduce the load significantly

If we reduce the load to 1/10th the original (all else equal) Generative Design can remove a good amount of material. You can scroll though the 'timeline' and create a design from any of the outcome iterations. Attached are the designs from outcomes 11 and 35:

Outcome 11.pngOutcome 35.png

Best regards,

Hugh Henderson
Message 13 of 14
avoss2J5KM

3D printed PLA is substantially weaker bending about the printed (vertical) axis when compared with the other 2 "planar" axis.  Is there a way to input different material strengths per axis in fusion360?

Message 14 of 14
henderh

@avoss2J5KM,

Fusion Simulation doesn't support anisotropic material definitions at this time.

A workaround is to use a 'worst case' scenario, where the material properties are defined according to the weakest direction. 

Hugh Henderson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report