Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dxf output orientation

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
grahamUTKMN
521 Views, 15 Replies

dxf output orientation

Hi,

When I output a dxf from more part I get the bottom view and I really want the front view, how do I select the view?

Many thanks,

G

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jhackney1972
in reply to: grahamUTKMN

@grahamUTKMN wrote:

Hi,

When I output a dxf from more part I get the bottom view and I really want the front view, how do I select the view?

Many thanks,

G

What do you mean by the statement highlighted in RED?  Are you trying to export a sheet metal part or parts?  It would be very helpful if you attached the model your are trying to export.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 16
grahamUTKMN
in reply to: jhackney1972

Sorry, typo.

I have a single part extruded 0.1mm thick.

The dxf is just a single line, either the top view or bottom view. I've drawn it in front view. Are they any options to select the dxf view?

Thanks,

G

Message 4 of 16
jhackney1972

The video will show the method to create a DXF.  Since the DXF is created from the sketch it will appear as the sketch when inserted on any plane.  If you would attach your model and indicated the sketch you are exporting we can help you out.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 16
grahamUTKMN
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks, I might see the problem now.

I had a part drawn but with more than one sketch, even though it was just a simple flat part. I was using the 'file/export' feature to generate a dxf. I'm pretty sure that's worked in the past.

For now I've redrawn the part in one sketch and outputted it like you've shown. It would be nice to know how the export feature is supposed to work though.

Thanks,

G

Message 6 of 16
grahamUTKMN

Good morning,

Is anyone from AD able to tell us how the export feature is supposed to work?

Thanks,

G

Message 7 of 16
g-andresen

Hi,

If you would say for what purpose the export will be used it would be easier to say something about it.

günther

Message 8 of 16
grahamUTKMN
in reply to: g-andresen

I simply drew a sticker outline in front view, a very simple part, with a thickness of 0.1mm. I wanted to export the .dxf file to send to the guy who does the graphics design. I could only get the export command to export the bottom view and didn't see any options.

Does that help?

G

Message 9 of 16
g-andresen

Hi,

Is there a reason why you don't provide the file for evaluation?

Günther

Message 10 of 16
HughesTooling

@grahamUTKMN  Are you right clicking the sketch in the browser and selecting Save as DXF or are you exporting the whole design? I'd guess you're exporting the design and your sketch is not on the XY plane, try using Save as DXF.

HughesTooling_0-1683112322813.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
grahamUTKMN
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi,

I'm trying to export the whole design, so does that not work?

Thanks,

G

Message 12 of 16
HughesTooling

Only thought is insert the design into a new design and orientate it how you need it and export the new design. Other than that you'll have to start again and create it in the correct orientation from the start.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
HughesTooling

@grahamUTKMN wrote:

I simply drew a sticker outline in front view, a very simple part, with a thickness of 0.1mm. I wanted to export the .dxf file to send to the guy who does the graphics design. I could only get the export command to export the bottom view and didn't see any options.

Does that help?

G

The export is a 3d file (all the information is in the DXF) so if you are opening the DXF with a program that only looks at the XY plane you're going to need to draw on the XY plane. If you have Fusion setup with Z up you'll need to design on the Top view on the view cube or if you have Fusion setup Y up use the front view. Or just ignore the view cube labels and make sure you're using the XY Plane.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
g-andresen

Hi,

@grahamUTKMN  schrieb

I'm trying to export the whole design, so does that not work?

That´s how it looks like

reimport DXF.png

günther

Message 15 of 16
HughesTooling

@g-andresen Think the problem is if you have the circles on the ZX plane for example and import the DXF into a 2d program you only see the edge on view, so just a line. This is not really a Fusion problem, don't know any programs that allow for reorientation of an export. I've use some that allow remapping import from Y up to Z up for some file formats.

I guess another workaround would be to create a 2d drawing orientated correctly then export as a dxf.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
HughesTooling

@g-andresen wrote:

That´s how it looks like

reimport DXF.png

günther

Thought it seemed odd that the export moved all the circles to one plane. Imported into Rhino, the the circles maintain their Z positions so just Fusion not recreating the planes.

HughesTooling_0-1683296007344.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report