Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a relation between 2 junctions based on a math function

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
miguelon1602
271 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a relation between 2 junctions based on a math function

Hi everyone. I'm developing a scissor mechanism (see image), and I want to start with the junctions' movement relations to get it to work. However, I haven't found any way to create a junction that's based on a math function. I have the function on paper, but I don't know how to apply it. it would be between the rotation and prismatic junction that are on the same point. How can I do this?

TIA

miguelon1602_0-1690572988210.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@miguelon1602 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Also indicate your desired Equation.

Message 3 of 9
jeff_strater
in reply to: miguelon1602

you can use an expression in a Motion Link between two joints.  I assume here that you want to relate the two Revolute joints in the image with a Motion Link?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 9

file attached. the formula I want to apply is d=-50*cos(theta), being d the movement of the lineal joint (negative to go closer to 0), and theta the angle on the rev joint that's on the same point

Message 5 of 9
miguelon1602
in reply to: jeff_strater

that's not what I'm asking about. I want to create a motion link between the lineal and the revolute joint that are on the same point, but with a non-linear relation (I want the distance travelled by the lineal joint to rely on the cosine of the angle of the revolution joint that's on the same point)

Message 6 of 9
jeff_strater

OK, well, that was just a guess.  No, I don't think that you can create that kind of a relationship in a Motion Link.  Someone smarter may find a way, but I don't know of one.  You can simulate it with Motion Study.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 9
miguelon1602

UPDATE: In the end, I applied a revolution joint with a 2:1 ratio link to another one of the existent revolution joints, and now the mechanism behaves as it should

Message 8 of 9
jhackney1972

That sure is a far cry from the formula of motion you posted in message #5!

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 9 of 9
miguelon1602
in reply to: jhackney1972

The formula was to get the middle holes to move fully vertical, just so the mechanism behaved as expected (a scissor lifting mechanism). I ended up trying another route to see if I could get it to work, and I ended up getting the result with a different way of applying joints

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report