Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creasing inserted edge on cylinder sculpting body insane CPU and crashes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mvaneijgen
398 Views, 7 Replies

Creasing inserted edge on cylinder sculpting body insane CPU and crashes

I am working on this model (download model here) it is a sculpting cylinder which I have creased. I than added diagonal edges to all the faces and wanted to crease them as well, but when I do this my fusion uses insane CPU on my MacBook pro 15" 2017 macOS 10.13.6 Fusion 360 2.0.4567 (mac app store version). I do this a lot wit my models and the sculpt box body work fine.

Here is a screenshot, when I hit the crease button I get the macOS spinning beach ball and my laptop sounds like a taking off apache helicopter. I let it run for about 10 minutes, but it never finishes. At first I thought it was doing to many edges at one time, but I also tried it with one edge (like in the screenshot) and it has the same result. In the end, because it seems like it will not finish and I don't want my laptop sounding like a meat grinder for more than 10 minutes I just forced quit the app, it was also stating in the Force Quite Application that Fusion 360 was not responding. 

Crease sculptCrease sculpt

What can I do to have this function working on my machine? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TrippyLighting
in reply to: mvaneijgen

I am wondering what kind of geometry you are trying to create. When working with T-Solines you should avoid using any triangles at all cost. Using as many triangles as you re in your design and then creasing them is certainly going to create problems.

No software should crash, however much of that can be avoided by using the tools properly 😉

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
TrippyLighting

Is this the kind of object you're after ?

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 10.02.31 AM.png

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
mvaneijgen
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I'm trying to create something like this. It kinda looks like your design, but more random. Screen Shot on 2018-09-24 at 16_06_54.png

Message 5 of 8
TrippyLighting

While I dd not create the shape I posted in Fusion 360 (I did it in Blender and then imported the mesh into Fusion 360) 

This can be done in Fusion 360.

Design the object in the T-Spline environment using box view mode only. Do NOT crease any edges. Use triangles.

This will not convert, but no worries.

When done export the control cage as .obj and then re-import it as a mesh in Fusion 360.

Then convert the mesh directly int a BRep (NOT into a T-Spline).

Then you'll have a polygonal body.

However, be aware that you'll have two d a good bit of filleting to get this to look smooth.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

@TrippyLighting wrote:

I am wondering what kind of geometry you are trying to create. When working with T-Solines you should avoid using any triangles at all cost. Using as many triangles as you re in your design and then creasing them is certainly going to create problems.

No software should crash, however much of that can be avoided by using the tools properly 😉

Why should you avoid triangles in this case?

Message 7 of 8

Hey I have the exact same problem. Did you solve it or did you went for a workaround? Thank you in advance

Message 8 of 8

@johannes.tamegger to create the particular geometry the OP described in his posts you will have to use triangles. However, I described a workflow that would avoid creasing and as a result crashing Fusion 360.

Please re-read the entire thread. And perhaps share your model.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report