Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy --> Paste as new does not make a fully independent new component?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kristjan.minn
109 Views, 4 Replies

Copy --> Paste as new does not make a fully independent new component?

I have an issue when trying out parametric modelling. When I am pasting existing component as new, while giving it an offset as a parametric value then first all seems to be ok, but there are two issues.

1. The sketch does not seem to be offset and it seems like the new pasted component sketch is tied to the sketch of a source component?

2. When changing the offset parameter value from parameters window, the offset does not apply to the new pasted component. It stays on its place and does not adjust to the new value.

What should I do to overcome those two issues?

BR,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Please attach the ORIGINAL component so the Forum users can take a look.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5

Here's a simple example file.

Message 4 of 5

In the video I try and answer your two questions.  The first one is pretty easy to understand but the second one is a bit harder.  Take a look and see if you understand and get back to me if you do not.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 5

Thank you for the explanation, but it does not really solve the problem.

I now understand that the offset of the newly pasted component is not recorded and has no ties to the parameter value.

I expected the function "paste new" actually do what it says, but seemingly not quite. Currently I don't know how to solve this in an efficient manner. Having to export components in to files, reimport them and then unlink the source seems silly and wastes time.

Similar components which are simple I could just start each from scratch and constrain them to others using sketch dimensional constraints with parametric values.

I wish that Autodesk would actually let us copy paste fully untied components where sketches are not linked to the source, but copied and moved together with a newly pasted component. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

I am likely doing my parametric model in a wrong way. I'll do some further research to find a more efficient workflow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report