Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constrain Line Endpoint to the Center of a Circle

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
gordiehl
806 Views, 10 Replies

Constrain Line Endpoint to the Center of a Circle

Searched and searched....  This used to work until last night, maybe?  Stumped

Simplest example I can provide.

Create sketch
Draw a circle

Draw a line

Constrain the line endpoint to the center of the circle

(The line endpoint moves to the center of the circle) DONE!

Did something change in Fusion 360?  Now when I do this the circle moves to the line endpoint.

Am I losing my mind? Maybe soon.  Any guidance is welcome.

Thank you,

Gordon

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
davebYYPCU
in reply to: gordiehl

If circle is not fully defined?

Normal behaviour.

Fully define the centre point, and the end point has to move.

Might help.....

Message 3 of 11
gordiehl
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hey Dave! Lighting fast response! Thanks! Ok I'm all eyes and ears. Either something changed in 360, my prefs or something. Maybe the circles for months past have been constrained and I didn't know it. A mystery to me man.

Ok so how do I fully constrain a circle? I have never had to do this in the past.

See screencast
Solved: Noob alert: How the heck do I constrain a circle sketch? - Autodesk Community - Fusion 360<>

Again it was always

Create sketch
Draw a circle

Draw a line

Constrain the line endpoint to the center of the circle

(The line endpoint moves to the center of the circle) DONE!

Message 4 of 11
gordiehl

RESEND

A little more background...

My example was a VERY simple one.

Production example:  These circles were projected onto the sketch plane from the endpoint surfaces of several cylinders.  And then the links were broken.

In the past I've been able to simply draw lines and then constrain each line endpoint to the center of the circles, connecting all the circles.  That simple.  Dunno man

Message 5 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

@gordiehl  schrieb:

Ok so how do I fully constrain a circle? 

This way: 1. Position the center

2. create concident constraint line/center

günther

Message 6 of 11
gordiehl
in reply to: g-andresen

günther,

Thanks for the support and video!

I would bet $1000 last week I could draw that circle > draw that line > click coincident > click line end > click the circle center and boom, the line moves to the circle!  Done.  That simple

Stumped. Soo odd

Message 7 of 11
davebYYPCU

Break Link - that will do it to you, if you don’t break the link. The line attaches to the purple dot, because it is fully constrained.  Blue articles for my colour scheme  - 50/50 as to which one moves.

so why not snap the line to the centre point?

Might help….

Message 8 of 11
gordiehl
in reply to: davebYYPCU

All,

I think I figured it out.  I projected the cylinder end surfaces which become the circles onto a different plane this time.  So, they lost reference to the/something original maybe.  Testing now...  I'll let cha know.

Seriously appreciate all the support!

Message 9 of 11
davebYYPCU

Break Link, breaks the projection link, so purple articles are linked, Blue are not, 

purple is constrained because the source articles were or should be constrained.

Cancel the link and the articles are free to move by accident, or intent.

Snap to centre point at time of drawing the line, will be coincident by default.

Might help....

Message 10 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

@gordiehl 

I recommend that you Attach your *.f3d file here after each and every sketch/feature for guidance by the experts until you have developed “best practices” techniques.

Message 11 of 11
gordiehl

Thanks everyone!

In the end I couldn't make sense of how 360 links projections back to the original imported step file in regard to being fully constrained etc.  Too much for me without some live collab and demo.  

I ended up "fixing" the circles, creating and constraining lines to the centers and then unfixing them.  My curiosity really drives me to know what, how, and why but these sketches are only to get dimensions for comparison and time is a factor so I'm moving on.  Maybe another day.

All suggestions noted!  Thanks again everybody!

G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report