Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Miter Near-Tangent Sheet Ends

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
joncolinleonard
2442 Views, 11 Replies

Cannot Miter Near-Tangent Sheet Ends

The image below is a screenshot of the geometry and related error message when attempting to apply a 1mm filet to the outside edge of the depicted solid. There is no problem applying the filet to the reverse side as shown. What gives?

Fillet Fail.PNG

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 12

The error message seems pretty accurate in this case.  The error indicates which edge is causing the failure (the red highlighted one).  The reference to "near tangent" is most likely referring to the fact that this edge is almost, but not quite, tangent to one or both adjacent edges along this set of edges.  This situation can be very difficult for the modeling kernel to resolve.  If you can make these edges be precisely tangent (is this a native Fusion design?), this error will likely go away.  But, as @TheCADWhisperer says, without the model itself, that is a pure guess.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 12

So, thanks for your replies, first of all.

I've found the forum here to be an invaluable source of lifelines when I click myself into a CAD corner somewhow.

In this particular case, I was not, and still am not, clear as to what a near-tangent edge refers to given that the edge I was attempting to radius (apply fillet) is described by two faces that are roughly 90 degrees to each other. Specifically, I still can't see how the highlighted edge is near-tangent to anything as it lies between two surfaces that are basically 90 degrees in angle.

Since this object is on its way to being a door that fits into a "fuselage" opening, I decided to go ahead and cut the 2.5mm clearance from the door object (solid) resulting in exactly the same shape missing 2.5mm along its perimeter. 

Once this was done, I am free to apply filets and bevels to the top perimeter of this form all I want and with no errors. This leaves me curious as to what manner of heresy the same geometry just 2.5mm away was committing that would not allow further edge treatment, and what is meant by "near-tangent" in this context.

Since I solved the issue, my curiosity is mostly academic, but I always want to make new mistakes, so any insight is more than appreciated.

I'm afraid an NDA would prevent me sharing the actual file, so I am limited to sharing information and screen shots.

Thanks again.

Colin

Fillet SuccessFillet Success

Message 5 of 12

Thanks so much for your reply,

I am afraid that an NDA prevents my sharing the actual file, but my problem was solved by proceeding with a 2.5mm clearance cut operation prior to fileting the resulting geometry. I replied to the other respondent below with more detail and seeking more clarification on how two surfaces 90 degrees in opposition can be described as "near-tangent".

Thanks again,

Colin 

Message 6 of 12

"In this particular case, I was not, and still am not, clear as to what a near-tangent edge refers to given that the edge I was attempting to radius (apply fillet) is described by two faces that are roughly 90 degrees to each other. Specifically, I still can't see how the highlighted edge is near-tangent to anything as it lies between two surfaces that are basically 90 degrees in angle."

The "near tangency" here is not in that direction - it is not referring to the faces adjacent to the edges, but to the relationship between adjacent edges in the set of selected edges.  That is a curve/curve near tangency, not a face/face near tangency.  Again, hard to verify without the model (which I understand cannot be shared), but it is likely at one of the ends of the highlighted edge - the adjacent edges are almost, but not quite, tangent to that edge.  For reasons I have never fully grasped, this condition is harder for Fillet than the case where there is a clear tangent discontinuity.  I suspect it has to do with additional geometry that is not needed for the fully tangent case, but is needed for the tangent discontinuous case, and that geometry becoming unmanageable as you get close to tangent along those edges...

Fillet Fail.PNG

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 12
fjplasma
in reply to: jeff_strater

Good morning,

I am getting the same error on this file and I am not sure how to get it to fillet for me.  Please can you help me?

I am trying to fillet the raised edges on the extruded part.

Thank you so much for your help with this.

Message 8 of 12
joncolinleonard
in reply to: fjplasma

So, the "solution" that worked for me was to create a new offset surface that was just slightly inboard of the original surface. I used that to split the solid and then I was able to add a fillet to the new resulting edge. In my case, the miniscule change in geometry was not important, but if your tolerances are critical, my solution would not be adeqate.

Message 9 of 12
fjplasma
in reply to: joncolinleonard

@joncolinleonard That is a great idea, I will try that and see what happens.  I did not think of that.

Thank you

Message 10 of 12
fjplasma

@joncolinleonard that did not work for me it still gave me this error now.

Error: The fillet/chamfer could not be created at the requested size. This might be occurring at the ends of the selected edges.
Try adjusting the size or using multiple separate operations. Check that the selected edge chain ends at a sensible position, and if not try selecting more edges.

Thank you for your thought and help with this.

fjplasma_0-1692042182935.png

I finally got it to work after that error, I just had to take the fillet size down to 0.14"  I was hoping for a little bit better but I will take what I can get. 

THank you so much for all your help with this issue.

Message 11 of 12
joncolinleonard
in reply to: fjplasma

I'm glad you got "un-stuck". I frequently have to settle for filets that are not exactly what I'm after for the same reason. I did remember another solution whereby I extruded the offending surface by a tiny amount to get out of the loop, but this doesn't look applicable based on your image. 

Message 12 of 12
fjplasma

@joncolinleonard you are correct on that, but I will keep that in mind for other situations.  Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report