Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to attach nose cone to nose cone base

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
josephVNDUY
271 Views, 8 Replies

Can't seem to attach nose cone to nose cone base

Hello! I'm new to Fusion 360 and am currently trying to design my own nose cones and 3D print them. The issue I'm having is that I originally created a nose cone using the loft command, only to wind up with a nose cone that is spear head shaped instead of rounded. So I went to using Revolve. In doing this however, the nose cone doesn't seem to attach and change size if I modify the base of the nose cone head. I've tried Intersect, but it doesn't let me choose both sketches. I'm sure I'm missing something simple... Thoughts?

In the picture, I've expanded the Nose Cone Head Base to show that it doesn't change the shape of the Rotated nose cone.

Screenshot 2023-12-25 090300.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: josephVNDUY

Please attach your model so the Forum users can see exactly what you are doing.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9
josephVNDUY
in reply to: jhackney1972

Ahh, got it. Thanks! I've attached the model to the original post.

Message 4 of 9
jhackney1972

I edited your model so you can vary the nose cone size via the Cone sketch and the PVC Pipe component will follow.  If this what you what?

Nose Cone.gif

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 9
josephVNDUY

That's awesome. I've been playing with the model since you posted it trying to understand what you did. I also removed a bunch of stuff that I realized was extraneous when not doing a flow. Still, I haven't been able to figure out how you did what you did. What is that adjustable line or how do I do what you did? I'm doing this as much to learn Fusion 360 as to do the actual project, so the knowledge is important to me. Then maybe one day, I can help people like you do. Regardless, thanks for the help and on Christmas no less!

Message 6 of 9
josephVNDUY

Alright, it took me ages, but I finally figured out how to do a diameter dimension around a centerline. Super slick and just what I need. Thanks!

I had already started building out a PVC pipe in the drawing after posting this message, and I see in your model, you had created some as well. how did you join the 2 so that they expand diameter based on changing one?

Message 7 of 9
jhackney1972

I did a video to show what I did originally and also what I did this time to clean up your sketches.  Next time you create something like this, make the skirt of the nose cone a part of the nose cone Revolve feature instead of a separate extrusion.  that way all will be related and you can change the diameters quicker.  New Model is attached.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 8 of 9
jhackney1972

You question is answered in the video. 

Since you are new to the Forum, I want to bring something to your attention. When responding to a post from someone, do not use the "Post Reply" icon as this will address your post to yourself. Instead use the "Reply" icon on the post you are responding to address your post to that person. Look back at the messages in this post and you will see what I mean.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 9 of 9
josephVNDUY
in reply to: jhackney1972

John, I can't thank you enough. Your patience and explanations were like a mini class on a whole bunch of things I didn't know but wanted to learn. I'm a person who doesn't care much about material things, so for Christmas, having more knowledge of something than I did before is better than any gifts under a tree. 🙂

I've incorporated everything you suggested into my designs and am grateful to be armed with better knowledge of how to design things in the future. Thank you as well for the pointer on forums posts! It's been a long time since I've posted to any forum.

I'm working on building a cheap, light weight projectile to fire out of the compressed air cannon I built with my son a few weeks ago. Now I'm going to be trying to figure out how to build and 3D print a fin piece that will slide on (glued) to the bottom of the PVC and fit into a 2" cannon barrel. I'm sure I'll have a new question soon!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report