Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get the reaction torque on a shaft that isnt on the x or y axis?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
cfischer_engr
103 Views, 2 Replies

Can I get the reaction torque on a shaft that isnt on the x or y axis?

This is a delta robot with a 20lb force applied to the effector. Each crank is fixed on its revolute shaft location. I want to understand the torque requried to hold the structure static. 

The reaction forces page when highlighting the revolute joint of the crank arm shows torques in 3 axis. The arm on the right happens to be aligned with the x axis so I can see the torque on this arm to hold the structure still is 534Nmm. The other crank arms are not aligned with x y or z. How can I see the torque requried to hold the delta still?

Image shows reaction on arm aligned with x axis. 

cfischer_engr_0-1703123210364.png

This image shows reactions for the arm on the left. What am I to do with these numbers?

cfischer_engr_1-1703123210376.png

Thanks for any help!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
henderh
in reply to: cfischer_engr

Hi @cfischer_engr,

Reactions can only display values with respect to the global coordinate system, there isn't a way to show them via a local coordinate system.

A workaround is to run the simulation with the model rotated, so that the arm is aligned with a global x, y, z axis. You can do this in Simulation, without affecting the model in the Design workspace.

1. Go to the Simplify workspace
  2. In the browser, right-click on the Simulation Model > Clone Simulation Model (with the study)
  3. In the cloned sim model, use the Modify > Move / Copy command to rotate the entire assembly so that an arm is aligned with a global axis
  4. Run the simulation for the rotated Sim model (make sure the force is still aligned properly)

Hope this helps!

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 3

Thank you for the response. 

This is very unfortunate as rotating and resolving for each arm is a lot of work. Especially when I want to analyze many locations to understand the entire work envelope. 

I hope fusion considers a more articulate method for displaying the reactions in the future. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report