Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG - Hidden sketch objects can be selected

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
C.Nicks
543 Views, 8 Replies

BUG - Hidden sketch objects can be selected

I'm not sure if this is a bug or oversight, but sketch objects that are hidden can be selected and deleted.

With that behavior, I cannot hide projections, select all of the sketch lines and delete. It will take the hidden projections along with it.
There seems to be alot of issues with the way sketches are handled. There are many times when other hidden sketch documents have their profile selectable. You can also modify a sketch when it's not active, which, makes messing up sketches very easy if you're not careful.

Are these expected behaviors or actual bugs?

Hidden projections selectable: https://recordit.co/9QxDucXMux
Modifying sketches without being in sketch mode: https://recordit.co/tCGrNF9Qoz

Best Regards,
Cameron

Eagle Library Resources

Kudos are much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.
Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jeff_strater
in reply to: C.Nicks

I'm not able to reproduce the selection of hidden sketches.  Are you sure the sketch itself is hidden, or is this geometry from a planar face that the sketch was created on?  If so, that is expected behavior.

Also, being able to drag sketch geometry is definitely intended behavior.  It is very useful to be able to drag sketches without having to edit the sketch.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 9
C.Nicks
in reply to: jeff_strater

The first reference video is showing the selection of projected geometry that is hidden using the checkbox in the sketch palette. If the visibility is turned off, selection should not be possible. It's the whole reason I hid it in the first place, so I could just delete the normal sketch lines and not the projections.

The second video shows actually deleting sketch lines in a sketch while not in sketch mode. That can have major impacts in terms of breaking downstream features and is very error prone. If that is wanted/intended behavior I think it's quite hazardous. It's hard enough keeping everything happy in the timeline.
I would suggest adding a way to lock sketches to keep them from being edited outside of them. Just like the eye icon for visibility there could be a lock icon to keep them from being edited.

Best Regards,
Cameron

Eagle Library Resources

Kudos are much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.
Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 9
jeff_strater

thanks for the clarification.  Yes, I can verify the first behavior.  I agree that this is not desirable, but let me check with that team to make sure that this is intentional.

On the second topic, the ability to drag or delete geometry while not in sketch mode is definitely intentional.  We want the ability to do some editing without the cost of rolling back for sketch mode.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 9

@jeff_strater wrote:

On the second topic, the ability to drag or delete geometry while not in sketch mode is definitely intentional.  We want the ability to do some editing without the cost of rolling back for sketch mode.

And that is definitely a feature!

It can be used to very great effect, although I think a lot of people don't get that. If done right, it allows you to finetune lofted surfaces almost similar to (direct) modeling with T-Splines. It is one of those things that make Fusion 360 very nice for concept development.

Peter Doering
Message 6 of 9
C.Nicks
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thanks for the insights on that. I'll have to check out more videos and look deeper into workflows.
I'm primarily working on parametric models and it's a bit hard to keep everything happy. This makes it so I have to constantly manage the visibility of sketches/bodies in order to edit and achieve my goals.
If you have any suggestions as to resources I should check out let me know.

I do still think there should be a way to lock objects from being edited/selected so they don't have to be hidden. Or maybe a way to have shortcuts/presets for selection filters.

Best Regards,
Cameron

Eagle Library Resources

Message 7 of 9
TrippyLighting

@C.Nicks wrote:

Or maybe a way to have shortcuts/presets for selection filters.

That would indeed be very helpful!

They are 2-3 mouseclicks hidden away and in result don't get the attention they deserve. 

Peter Doering
Message 8 of 9
jlarsonLP454

Any update on bug #1 referenced in this thread? I use projected geometry (in the form of construction lines) all the time, and I need to delete several instances of a circular pattern sitting above that projected geo. I was very surprised when my selection box grabbed all the hidden geo that I had turned off in the sketch palette. Looks like I need to tediously go through and select the geometry I want to delete line-by-line since I can't use a selection box? Please fix this!

Message 9 of 9
LarsRey
in reply to: jlarsonLP454

Indeed.

I try to copy text on a sketch. Everything, other sketches, components, bodies... whatever are hidden. Only the actual sketch is visible. In spite of that when dragging over the text everything that is hidden shows up and gets marked as well. I have 30 text boxes with digits in a 45 degree angle in a rectangle. Do I really have to click on every each on them to be able to copy them without getting all the ghost sketches and bodies? Very annoying if it is so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report