Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon Update Issues

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
graham178
272 Views, 7 Replies

Apple Silicon Update Issues

Hello Autodesk, 

Although it may not be perfect at launch, THANK YOU for updating Fusion 360 to Apple Silicon. I've been waiting for this for such a long while. 

After updating, I can confirm that generating tool paths in manufacturing is definitely faster. That's AMAZING!

I often spend all day programming, so for me this is huge. 

However, there are a couple things that prevent the newest update from being usable. Luckily forcing the application in Rosetta solves one of them.

PROBLEM 1

The first issue is HUGE, which is that the trackpad STILL does not work. It does not function. You cannot zoom. Seriously? 

Fusion 360 worked perfectly fine on laptops, then you guys pushed an update on us and broke zoom functionality on laptops.

The gestured based support in Apple Silicon doesn't solve anything, it's still broken. 

PROBLEM 2

I use a space mouse, and running on the new Universal Fusion 360 / Apple Silicon update, the application performs as if it's running at 3-5fps.

The application is completely unusable in its current state. 

It's as if you guys didn't even test Fusion 360 with a space mouse.

Solution: Quitting Fusion 360 and re-launching it forcing Rosetta re-enables normal fps for Space Mouse. 

It's great to finally see Apple Silicon support, but it's completely unusable in it's current form 😞

SS- 2023-07-26 at 13.25.01.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lance.carocci
in reply to: graham178

Hi @graham178, I saw your post in this thread regarding Problem 2, so if it's okay, I will use this thread to focus on Problem 1.

Would you please confirm for me the model/year of your Mac? This is the in-built trackpad, yes? There shouldn't be a difference with the Magic Trackpad, but it helps to know specifics.

I have tested with Gesture-Based Navigation enabled on macOS 11, 12, and 13 using both my 2020 Air's trackpad as well as a Magic Trackpad 2, and I am having difficulty reproducing the issue - all gestures are functioning for me. I also tried with/without the SpaceMouse attached, also working.

Can you think of anything unique about your Fusion 360 installation or device hardware configuration that might cause this to fail? Perhaps the issue is due to individual gesture enablement within macOS - could you please share some screenshots from each tab of the Trackpad section of macOS system preferences? That is, Point & Click, Scroll & Zoom, and More Gestures (looking at Big Sur while typing this, so if there are any new sections in later macOS, please also include those).

Lance Carocci
Fusion QA for UI Framework/Cloud Workflows, and fervent cat enthusiast
Message 3 of 8
graham178
in reply to: lance.carocci

Hello Lance,

Thank you so much for helping me with this: MacBook Air M2, 2022, built-in trackpad using Fusion 360 while traveling abroad: 

SS- 2023-07-26 at 15.44.54.jpg

In Fusion 360 > Preferences > General > by default "Use gesture-based view navigation" is selected:

SS- 2023-07-26 at 15.45.35.jpg

The issue could be related to settings in Mac OS, however the day of the pushed update referenced here is the point at which zooming stopped working.

SS- 2023-07-26 at 15.47.47.jpgSS- 2023-07-26 at 15.48.03.jpgSS- 2023-07-26 at 15.48.11.jpg

Someone at Autodesk helped me out over the phone a couple months ago, uninstalling and reinstalling Fusion 360.

No solution was found to work, so I'm curious if zoom works on your machine, I wonder why it doesn't work for so many Mac users? 

Message 4 of 8
lance.carocci

Interesting, so it started prior to this update with the old gesture engine, too? That update contained updates to our third party libraries, so that at least narrows things down.

My theory with the OS gesture settings was that perhaps I had them configured differently from you, but even when replicating your settings, I still had gestures, so scratch that idea.

Do you have any third party add-ins installed for Fusion? Or perhaps other input-related apps like Better Touch Tool?

Lance Carocci
Message 5 of 8
graham178

Hello Lance,

I don’t know what 3rd party add-ins are, so I would imagine not.

I’ve never had any input-related apps, except for the Space Mouse, if that counts?

Panning and Orbit work normally, but since the forced update a few months ago, zooming is defect, it doesn’t work.

I was thinking with the Silicon update perhaps it’s fixed, but it’s unchanged, it doesn’t work.

It’s really urgent I get it working, since I use Fusion 360 for work, and I’m often in Japan and elsewhere in Asia at machine shops.

How can I work like this?
Message 6 of 8
lance.carocci

Perchance, if you hold a modifier key like Option or Shift, does zoom work? If so, that could at least be a temporary workaround.

Lance Carocci
Message 7 of 8
graham178

Yes the option + 2 Finger drag, it did actually Zoom in and out, which is great.

Unfortunately it lagged so much so that you must tap the trackpad 4-5 times before the 2 finger drag can actually engage.

Once engaged, zooming in and out is fast. But once you disengage, to zoom again you have to 2-finger tap the trackpad another 4-5 times before it re-engages.

If it was responsive the modifier keys would be a great workaround. The only way I can zoom on laptop is by click + hold on the actual zoom button at the bottom = that won't work.

As of the latest update with Apple Silicon, these modifier keys for zooming are dead, they're no longer functional.
Message 8 of 8
lance.carocci

@graham178, would you please try toggling the Zoom gesture off and back on in the macOS trackpad options and see if this temporarily restores gestures to you? I had a report of this being a potential workaround, but unable to confirm myself just yet.

Lance Carocci

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report