Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z level depth 3d contour

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
magpiemachining
610 Views, 8 Replies

z level depth 3d contour

i am using 3d contour to remove material for a countersink bolt. a flat bottom endmill is what i have at my disposal while am learning the paths.the z level i enter is not the same when it post.no matter what number i change the z depth to it post the same number every time. i have tried different stock orientations also.  thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

I'm going to guess it's a selection that you have not done proper. I've attached a .f3d file that you could take a look at if you want. To open it: File > New Design From File, find the file and double click.

Quick attempt yielded results I would expect:

Bottom Up countersink.JPG

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 9

thats awesome.  not sure what process to use has been a lot of my learning curve. software works great thank you.

Message 4 of 9

So you got it to work? Did you change anything? If you don't mind sharing, could you export and share your .f3d file so I/We could look at it and see where you went astray?

To export: File > Export > Save to local folder. Come back to this thread and attach the file

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9

ok. i posted it here.

Message 6 of 9

where i go wrong is not know what process to use. a friend said to use the 3d contour process. couldnt get it to wok like i wanted. you got it. i didnt change anything that was in the sample ramp process i just adjusted the numbers  a bit to cut ar500 plate. yall do a great job. thank you for the information. 

Message 7 of 9

You were giving it to many inputs. Sometimes (often) in 3D, less is better.

Using the 3D contour you had, I changed some of the selections around. I think you will find the toolpath was what you were looking for. That being said, I'd prefer the Ramping toolpath myself, as it will be a better finish, maintain constant contact so on and so forth

Countersink 3D1.PNG

If you replicate all the choices you see in the image above, you will get the path you want. Note: One profile selected, Tool center on boundary. You actualy don't need the Avoid/Touch option, I just forgot to turn it off. Tried it out and it is not needed..

On the Bottom Height, remove your negative offset. Simply select that bottom edge

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 9

i have to post another comment on this. i was using an 11/32" drill coolant though. blew up both of those. was also using an everede CS. damaged that. using a .242 carbide drill(smaller drill less heat) and a 6mm end mill to finish manufacture the 11/32 hole and the CS. in less time. fusion is awesome. yall have bailed me out AGAIN!!!!can i post a pic of the plate on here? 

Message 9 of 9

I'm glad you were able to get it done. I don't think there is any restriction on posting up something you have completed, although I could see how people would abuse that.

Ouch, blowing up tools hurts the wallet. Those oil-hole drills ain't cheap

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report