Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Axis & Y-Axis Swap

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Daniel.Doan
6756 Views, 19 Replies

X-Axis & Y-Axis Swap

I am trying to align the X,Y,Z coordinate system to that of my CNC machine. Z is up and located correctly, but X & Y are reversed. I need to the X-Axis to go East/West and Y-Axis to go North/South. I have gone under preferences to see if I can swap X & Y axis. I have even gone as far as to click on the "face" and redesignate to to "Top/Front" with no results. I have included a picture of what I am trying to accomplish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the picture I need to swap the X & Y axis locations.

Thanks,

Daniel D.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jhackney1972
in reply to: Daniel.Doan

I am puzzled, if you model on the X-Y plane, the axis created in the Manufacturing environment (CAM) come in correctly.  If you use a different modeling plane, all you have to do is redefine your axis in the Manufacturing Setup routine.  Please see screencast.

Manufacturing Axis Orientation.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 20
Daniel.Doan
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks for the info. I have tried all sections. I need the X-Axis and Y-axis to rotate 90 degrees. I flip them and they are still 90 degree out of alignment. I have attached this file so that you might load it and try to help.

Message 4 of 20
Daniel.Doan

I got it to work.

Thanks

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

You got it to work?

How? I need to swap the X and Y axis but I see no way to do this in Manufacture->Setup.

I have a CNC that is longer than it is wide. I have a model that can be milled lengthwise, but not width-wise, but the 3rd-party model I want to mill was designed around width-wise milling.

I see how I can flip X end-over-end, I can flip Y, I can flip Z, but I see no way to swap X for Y (to rotate the manufactured model 90 degrees), other than editing the post-processed output with something like:

Globally replace " Y" with " U"

Globally replace " X" with " Y"

Globally replace " U" with " X"

I can script that for the stuff I didn't create, but this seems like an extremely common requirement for CAM since anyone can load models that they did not design around their own manufacturing constraints. I'm sure there's another way to accomplish it in Fusion 360, but it isn't obvious.

Could someone please share?

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In the manufacture workspace click your setup and edit, then change the WCS orientation to select Z axis and Y axis or X axis, then define your face or edge for Z axis and define your face or edge for Y or X axis.

Message 7 of 20
AutoDesk99UGT

Deleted... Seriously, you don't have that option?

Message 8 of 20
AutoDesk99UGT

OMG the 'delete' doesn't work on the above message... I think that I was looking at a copy of the file, not the one I thought that I had opened...  So, delete the posting, being as no one as referenced it... OH, I can edit... Sigh

Message 9 of 20
seth.madore
in reply to: AutoDesk99UGT

@AutoDesk99UGT it's all good. I can flag your posts for removal if you'd like?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 10 of 20
AutoDesk99UGT
in reply to: seth.madore

Sure, I figured out what I was doing wrong - and got my first CNC drilling (milling) 8 holes in steel on my Taig Mill.   (I had it working on my other machine, but it seems to be under powered for the job)

Message 11 of 20

Im having the same Problem myself, My cnc y axis is longer than it is wider. Fusion Thinks the x and y are opposite of what they really are. When i do my setup on a drawing i set it up the way i would on the cnc but the machine has x and y flipped the way they in real life. 

I did see the flip y up instead on the preferances page but not sure that would make it correct either

Message 12 of 20

It sounds like it's just a matter of selecting which is the X axis in your Setup. Could you share your Fusion file?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 20

So Ive been playing with it all afternoon and i did try and fix the model to follow the cnc y and long side of the machine. But the issue still remains no matter how my model/stock is fixed up or the points on the model. I believe the cnc machine in fusion isnt set up correctly. The x and y need to be switched. Unless i need to not look at the rendering of the machine and go with it?

x and Y on body.PNG

x and y 2.PNG

  

Message 14 of 20

You might want to mention the machine you are using and the post processor.  Your file contains neither.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 15 of 20

Sain Smart Genmitsu PROVerXL 4030 with the 1000x1020 Extension kit. 

Message 16 of 20
seth.madore

Ignore the machine, imo, or change the alignment of the part on the machine. 

In truth, 99% of 3 axis work can be done without a machine config and machine simulation

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 20
pdifflipp
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree, this should be much easier .I cannot believe there is no way to rotate X and Y 90 degrees

Message 18 of 20
seth.madore
in reply to: pdifflipp

@pdifflipp wrote:

I agree, this should be much easier .I cannot believe there is no way to rotate X and Y 90 degrees

....there is. Select your Z and X from the model, it will orient the part to the Z and X of your machine

2022-08-31_08h44_40.png

2022-08-31_08h44_58.png

Seth Madore
Message 19 of 20
Zafyrfly
in reply to: seth.madore

I too have struggled for hours just trying to just Have X and Y 90 Degrees. the only solution that I have found is to redraw my part in the orientation that I want with x and y the right way. that's a lot of work. 

Does anybody have a solution to this. I have tried every option available in the set ups screen. Or is this one of the upgrades I will never pay for.

Message 20 of 20
seth.madore
in reply to: Zafyrfly

WCS Orientation is available at every level. Can you share a file and/or images that detail what you're running into?

All you need to do in your Setup is turn on "Select Z and X orientation, and select the plane that is normal to Z (to establish the Z orientation) and then an edge that runs along the "X" axis to align the X. Alternatively, you could do Z/Y and select an edge that runs along your Y axis.

Now, bear in mind, we work on the Cartesian coordinate system, aka "the Right Hand Rule for CAD". If you were to extend your right hand (palm up), point your index finger towards the monitor, thumb to the right, remaining digits pointed to the ceiling, all would be pointing towards X/Y/Z positive

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report