Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worm Gear Programming

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jeph00
353 Views, 3 Replies

Worm Gear Programming

Good day all.

Not sure if this is the right place to look for a solution to my problem, please read.

In question is the worm gear drawing attached. I need to make a few of these parts. From what I've heard from fellow machinists, using the C-Axis and rotary tool path with a live tool on our machine would be the best way to do this. But since this has to programmed with a "V" profile, I can't seem to generate the desired tool path I'm looking for. The machine we're running is a Mori Sieki NL3000Y.

Can anyone tell me if Fusion is even capable of generating such a tool path? If not, what are my options?

P.S. Also had someone tell me this could be done with macros. Thoughts? Any suggestions for resources to teach me how to do something like this if macros is the only option.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: jeph00

Do you have a live tool of the correct angle? Are you expected to bring the part to a finished state, or is it getting ground after this?

Wrap toolpath will get you REALLY close, assuming you have a tool of the proper taper. See attached photo and file

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4
jeph00
in reply to: seth.madore

Good morning Seth, thanks for the reply. The live tool is perpendicular to the chuck.

We decided to go ahead and get a custom form tool made for this job with the proper depths and angle. 

Message 4 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: jeph00

Then the solution I posted above will work for your part, happy cutting!

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report