Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it ignoring my fixture?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
colinNPU8N
1775 Views, 16 Replies

Why is it ignoring my fixture?

I have a setup with part, billet and fixture, but when doing 3d adaptive, it still machines into the fixture? What am I doing wrong? Surely it can figure to go around the fixture and avoid? Or is this not implemented yet? I hope it is something I've missed.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ovisopa
in reply to: colinNPU8N

I also though that selecting the fixture in setup will help in toolpath generation and avoid the fixture but it seems the fixture is only useful in simulation, you will notice the red lines in the timeline, while playing the simulation, that means the tool hit the fixture, or the material.

You should use the option AVOID/Touch surfaces if it's available for the operation you chose.

avoid touch surfaces.jpg

Message 3 of 17
colinNPU8N
in reply to: ovisopa

@ovisopa thank you for the reply, I figured the collision in simulation, but thought it fairly self explanatory that selecting the fixture would mean it should avoid it too... obviously not!

3D adaptive doesn't have the avoid option which is odd; I'll have to use boundaries.

Message 4 of 17
al.whatmough

We do want to add avoidance of fixtures.

In the meantime, one workflow is to add the fixtures to the model override in your Adaptive operation.

image.png

Keep in mind, there is no option to add a clearance value.  So, you will need to model your fixtures larger by the amount of clearance you want.

---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 5 of 17
Sq_14

Well i recently stumbled across the same problem and invested a LOt of time until i searche the net for an answer.

I thought, defining a fixture would make the program avoid it in tool path, but NO, i doesn't. 

After reading this thread and seing the comment "we want to bring this in" back in may 2017, oh well ...

I'd suggest you change the "promising" caption of the 'fixture' field to something more explanatory like 'visualize fixture'

This alone would have helped a lot and saved some hours of time 

Message 6 of 17
daniel_lyall
in reply to: Sq_14

@Sq_14 it does work now you just add it to the model selection If you post your model so you can get help it would help you To attach a file Go to File -> Export and save as a .F3D Archive File and attach it to your next post, if you can not post the file you can PM it to me or say in your next post you can not post the file and one of the Guys that do NDA work will help.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 17
Sq_14
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Hey, thanks for offering helping me out, but i already got the issue covered after reading this thread.

On the main subject, NO, it does NOT work, at least if you only  look at the naming of the section and the pop-up help you can get.

If you define a body as fixture, a 3D tool path will still plow right through it. If a 2D does this, well, this might be a case of model unawareness (aka dumb) tool path, but still !! this body is declared as a fixture and the tool should NEVER touch that body but stay away from it in any direction.

Adding faces, or probably the whole 'fixture' body to the model in the setup, well you gotta know, english is not my native tongue and it does not make sense at all, at least in my head, because the model is the part which i want to have subtracted out of defined stock. If i define my fixture as a part of my model, i really would define the fixture as a region that the tool should work on.

This is VERY counter-intuitive, at least in my head, and the caption and pop-up help does nothing to correct this line of thought at all.

Message 8 of 17
seth.madore

@Sq_14 you are correct, it's counter-intuitive and doesn't work as one would think. It's on the list of much needed improvements, and the developers are well aware of the need to improve this area. Sorry I don't have better info for you....

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 17
Fabbunny69

Hi, just found this thread after having similar issue to @Sq_14 , again after a few hours trying to work out why this function was not working ☹️

Accepting what @seth.madore  stated I would like to ask, at the moment does selecting a fixture do anything at all? Should the fixture show up in simulation so you could at least visually notice a tool touching it? 

I also ask could you at least change the UI for this until it is operational?

FIXTURE.jpg

Message 10 of 17
mattdlr89
in reply to: Fabbunny69

@Fabbunny69 When you simulate it should tell you if your toolpath hits any of your fixtures defined in setup. The tool path generation will not take into account any fixtures. You may need to turn on the visibility of fixture in the browser tree when simulating if you want to see it. The visibility of fixture shouldn't effect any collision detection during simulation.

If you want your toolpath to avoid the fixture you can either add the fixture as a model body in your set up. Or if you want to do it on a per toolpath basic you can add select the fixture body (or faces of) in the model section under geometry.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 09.27.26.png

Message 11 of 17
Fabbunny69
in reply to: mattdlr89

@mattdlr89 thanks for reply.

Now I know what it should do 👍 but for me the fixture I have selected is not showing up in simulation.

I think 'You may need to turn on the visibility of fixture in the browser tree' might have something to so with it, what do you mean by this? I have looked every where in browser tree and cant find this function.

Please forgive me if the solution to this is something really easy that I have missed!! 🤕

I attached my file in case that might help.

Message 12 of 17
mattdlr89

What I mean by turning on visibility is the eyeball symbol next to the body/component that is your fixture. When I opened your file and simulated it simulated with the fixture in place (I think) screenshots below. 

mattdlr89_1-1616180057213.png

mattdlr89_0-1616179934806.png

Message 13 of 17
Fabbunny69

@mattdlr89 Got it. My understanding now is that the fixture selection in SETUP is purely to initiate collision detection, and selecting fixture in setup will not make it visible in simulation as is the case with your stock.

Your stock becomes visible once you are in simulation, no need to have your stock model visible in the browser tree but with your fixture you have to make it visible in the browser tree. 🤒

This seems a very convoluted way of doing it, @seth.madore  is there any reason why your fixture could not me made to be visible in simulation automatically, when you have a fixture selected? Why would you need to detect fixture collisions with out seeing your fixture?

FIXTURE SELECTED & FIXTURE MODEL VISIBLE IN BROWSER TREEFIXTURE SELECTED & FIXTURE MODEL VISIBLE IN BROWSER TREEFIXTURE SELECTED AND FIXTURE MODEL NOT VISIBLE IN BROWSER TREEFIXTURE SELECTED AND FIXTURE MODEL NOT VISIBLE IN BROWSER TREEFIXTURE NOT SELECTED AND FIXTURE MODEL SELECTED IN BROWSER TREEFIXTURE NOT SELECTED AND FIXTURE MODEL SELECTED IN BROWSER TREE

Message 14 of 17
mattdlr89

If you are not using a manufacturing model you can turn on "sync visibility with active setup" this will sort out all your visibilities automatically as you change between setups. This is located at the bottom of the screen in the middle. Unfortunately for now it is not compatible with the manufacturing model (the option will disappear when you create a manufacturing model if you are using them)

mattdlr89_0-1616490179206.png

Message 15 of 17
Fabbunny69

Thanks, very useful information but I am not sure how this is useful to the fixture viability issues detailed previously, I will play with those sync settings tomorrow and try and work it out. Thanks again

Message 16 of 17
dgoller2RNYJ

Will Fusion 360 eventually learn to avoid the fixtures defined during processing of operations and keep toolpaths away from fixtures?

As far as I can see, it is still in the state of using it for simulation only, not for processing.

Best regards,

Daniel

Message 17 of 17
seth.madore
in reply to: dgoller2RNYJ

@dgoller2RNYJ wrote:

Will Fusion 360 eventually learn to avoid the fixtures defined during processing of operations and keep toolpaths away from fixtures?

Yes, and we're actively working on that technology at the moment! Mind you, it's still a ways off from being released, but we've made some good progress in this area 🙂

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report