Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is fusion projecting an edge down below past its boundary when selected?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
derinveron
332 Views, 14 Replies

Why is fusion projecting an edge down below past its boundary when selected?

Hello, I'm a beginner in Fusion and I'm trying to use it for it's CAM software. I modeled this piece in Rhino. I'm trying to select the bottom edges of these raindrop shapes as machining boundaries in order to run a parallel toolpath on them, and hollow them out. They are going to be pockets for a wood inlay. The bottom edge is offset 1/8" from the top edge. Fusion is doing this weird thing where it's projecting the edge down to the center of the stock instead of selecting exactly what I have in the model. I included screenshots to show the problem, as well as the file. I'm a beginner so any detailed explanations or solutions would be super helpful and appreciated!

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 7.13.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-01 at 7.13.57 PM.png

Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mattdlr89
in reply to: derinveron

Can’t look at your file currently but I believe fusion is projecting your selection onto the XY plane as the tool is orientated.

if you are doing a parallel machining strategy there is an option under touch/avoid section (in geometry tab iirc) to select surfaces that you only want the tool to touch. This might be the better option for you. 

Message 3 of 15
derinveron
in reply to: mattdlr89

I actually happened to try that option out right before you replied, and it worked!! Could've saved so much time if i'd known that sooner. Do you happen to know what's causing fusion to project my selection onto the XY plane, or what could remedy that?

Message 4 of 15
daniel_lyall

Run a simulation and see if it does cut to the bottom surfaces of the hole or past it would be a lot easier if the model was fixed.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 15
derinveron
in reply to: daniel_lyall

The simulation goes to where the green line is, which is not where the actual edge of the pocket in the model is. My question was “why” does this happen if the model is correct. Someone else suggested that Fusion is projecting my selection onto the XY plane. How would you suggest I fix my model given this info

Message 6 of 15
daniel_lyall

Making the model watertight.

Not watertight/solid

not fixed.png 

Made watertight/solid

fixed.png

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 7 of 15
derinveron

I appreciate that thank you! How did you make it watertight? Not familiar with fusion enough to know. Is it as simple as stitching the surfaces together?

Message 8 of 15
daniel_lyall

Yes, it needs stiched, some holes filled and a teardrop rebuilt It is a bit of a mission to do it can you get any other format out of what you used to make it? 

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 9 of 15
derinveron

Oh man. I was wondering how you got yours to work, I keep getting bad results no matter what I do. I modeled it in Rhino. Don't really understand all the different file types and how they translate in different programs, I've used solely Rhino for basic modeling and CAD purposes in the past. Exporting as an STP because it seemed like the only way to do this from people's advice. 

Message 10 of 15
daniel_lyall

.STP should be fine but it's not just trying some of the other formats.

It would take an hour or so to fix the model if you knew what to do, the 2 areas inducated are where the main problem is the holes need a surfaces added and stiched the tear drops on the surfaces need turned off one needs rebuiltand the tabs need a bit of work where they are sticking through the parts.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 11.55.24 AM.png

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 11 of 15
derinveron

Ah okay yes I noticed that earlier and was planning to fill those holes after I figured out the proper operations. In the model I attached in the message before this one, I stitched all the surfaces of the object I was working on, and selected it as the model in the Setup. For the purposes of what this object will be, I don't care about the quality of the 3D adaptive roughing over the pieces as much as I do the quality and accuracy of the teardrop operation.

The Parallel pass that I ran on one of the teardrops in that model (using avoid/touch surfaces) is messy. Recently I tried to run a Pencil pass after the Parallel pass, to clean up the edge of the teardrop, but it went down to the middle of the stock like a few messages back. 

If you have time, would you be able to see if you can identify any issues with the pass or the stock? I really appreciate it! I've been trying to get good results for a week now and I understand it's a bit tricky to do in Fusion. Thanks again

Message 12 of 15
daniel_lyall

Simply it needs to be fixed but since I am a nice person I am doing it for you :beer_mug:

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 13 of 15
daniel_lyall

Model attached I think it is good to go, I have done a demo using patches on one part in the second adaptive toolpath.

You are going to have learn how to do this stuff, what is here will help, and use the search bar this just gives you all the Autodesk stuff on fusion.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 14 of 15
derinveron

Hi Daniel, that is so kind of you thank you! But unless i'm crazy I don't see any attached files.. No rush/worries. I opened fusion for the first time 2 weeks ago and have learned so much from people here already. 

Message 15 of 15
daniel_lyall

There have been a lot of forum problems where stuff does not attach lately.  

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report