Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do i have so many issues everytime there is an update?

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
slaughlin79
2175 Views, 58 Replies

why do i have so many issues everytime there is an update?

for the first 3 years of having fusion any issues i had were 100 percent caused by inexperience and have had nothing but positive things to say about fusion 360 but, the past 4 or 5  or so updates have been extremely problematic and not just bugs. i can work around a bugs, this is a much bigger issue.

first i luckily noticed that settings in a couple toolpaths i have been using for over 2 years had settings changed on its own which wouldve crashed my machine. thank god a ran a simulation even though i shouldnt have needed to and dont know why i did but i did and it saved me. then a couple or more updates later "who knows bc there are so many ive lost count" i try to use some of my 589 cloud credits to find they were deleted. i used 11 of them just a week before to use the machining extension and i had 600 before using the 11. the latest update, again, toolpaths that ive used for over 2 years wont generate or when they do, do weird crap when i simulate. 

operation 3 toolpaths 5 and 6 both are contour wraps. use to cut much deeper in z and never did that multi .5 inch of cut at the end.

So, im extremely curious to hear from others and the problems they have had in the past or are having right now caused by an update?

58 REPLIES 58
Message 2 of 59
rhetths
in reply to: slaughlin79

The list of degradations and bugs in the program has been getting longer and at a faster rate over time, over the last 3.5 years or so.  I advocate fusion should be restored to the way it was about 3.5 years ago, that would be a substantial update.

Message 3 of 59
seth.madore
in reply to: rhetths

@rhetths wrote:

I advocate fusion should be restored to the way it was about 3.5 years ago, that would be a substantial update.

Would that include all the (many) new toolpaths and bug fixes that we've done in that time frame? 

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 59
slaughlin79
in reply to: seth.madore

I like that fusion finally made a somewhat true simultaneous 4th axis but the toolpath selection for a simple operation like adaptive 2d is ridiculous. Period. Today all I did was change the tool that I wanted to use without changing any other selection and all I get is empty toolpath. It’s the same tool but different number. It’s happening across the board. Can you explain that Seth bc no one asked if we should get rid of the new toolpaths? How does adding a new toolpath rob me of cloud credits 589 of them that are worth over 1500 dollars when you spend them one for one? How does a new toolpath make the remaining toolpaths unusable? I’m losing money. It’s funny not one fusion employee can comment so either they are ignorant and don’t know how to fix or know they are in the wrong and couldn’t give one ****. I think it’s a little both to be honest. 

Message 5 of 59
rhetths

I am not aware of any new toolpaths or bug fixes in the last 3.5 years.  I am not sure when sheetmetal was introduced, i use that a lot, although it has some big limitations which might be easy to fix but nothing has been done about them.

The improvements i have noticed in the last 3.5 years.

1.  Previously toolpaths that were fine but not generated would be denoted as failed (along with genuinely failed toolpaths, thus they were not differentiated), whereas now they are denoted as needing generation.

2.  The post process dialog box was a confusing dogs breakfast.  Now the first dialog box is good, which is an improvement.  The next step is to get rid of the second dialog box and replace it with a narrow column in the toolpaths list, titled 'NC', with the rows in the column numbered according to which NC program you want them in.

I like the idea of rest machining but have not got it to work yet, i gave up and haven't tried for a while.   

Message 6 of 59
DarthBane55

@rhetths wrote:

I am not aware of any new toolpaths or bug fixes in the last 3.5 years.  I am not sure when sheetmetal was introduced, i use that a lot, although it has some big limitations which might be easy to fix but nothing has been done about them.   

New toolpaths:

-Steep and Shallow

-Flat

-Blend

-Corner

-Deburr

-Rotary pocket

-Rotary contour

Numerous improvements in the past 3.5 years, it is incredibly more powerful that it was then.  I can imagine though, that for a user at home on a router, it is maybe getting overkill and complex.  For commercial users, it is getting much more useful that it was.  What I observe though is the pace of the new things coming in, is probably too fast, meaning, the Devs work on a new feature, test it very briefly, and introduce it, for us users to find all the issues.  That part I don't like, but what can I do, that's how this software operates.

My guess for the new selection method, is that this is for future ModuleWorks toolpaths implementation (can someone confirm?), therefore would be why they keep saying it was a necessary step and cannot be reverted.  It sucks that it creates issues with old programs, but when starting a new job, we'll get the hang of it and benefit from what it will open up to us, users (I'm hoping that's the case!).

Message 7 of 59
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: DarthBane55

Still able to select components that are not only hidden but completely blocked by other components in front of them despite also having face priority switched on. (4+ years?)

Still needing to zoom in far more than one would need to to select things because the cursor's magnetic snapping is atrocious. I have a hand tremor, tendonitis, AND I'm using a trackpad, yet the biggest obstacle to selecting things is Fusion itself. (4+ years?)

Still unable to use the viewcube 10 times a day every day because it just freezes up. (4+ years?)

Feed optimization still slowing the tool on outside corners despite only inner corners selected. (4+ years?). Also feed optimization in general should just be avoided.

There are still operation settings that have 0 use but are displayed anyways for some reason (like smoothing for the Trace toolpath/Boundary settings for Blend)

Toolpath simulations for even simple drilling operations still sluggily moving along at 3fps (actually it's probably way less than 3fps a lot of the time more like 10 frames per minute).

In process stock still getting hung up once a week and not updating until regenerating setups/disabling and reenabling I-PSG (since inception).

Still getting warnings about heights needing to get lifted that don't even exist in Fusion.

Still hitting "no" to the "This operation has missing references, do you want to clear those selections?" and having them get cleared anyways.

Still getting whisper cuts despite trying every trick in the book.

Tools in the tool library (for example Harvey Tool - Specialty Profiles) still have incorrect geometries.

Hopefully lollipop mills still look like helmet heads in the setup sheets, that's still a pretty funny bug.

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 8 of 59
rengfx

If a feature introduction breaks another working feature, then it was released too quickly without proper testing, period end of story. The F360 team seems to be made up of hobbyist level programmers / unserious "creators" who would rather tote "new features" than actually ensure a working software update is released

It does seem to happen SO MANY UPdates, and yes there are improvements, but 5% forward 5% backward simultaneously isn't progress. I mean had to hear for literally months and months and months about upcoming 4th axis simultaneous paths that are quite frankly, underwhelming, and apparently at the cost of other things

I'm getting really really sick of endless emails about upcoming webinars when simple things like 2d chamfer extensions got broken (what 10+ forum topics about it in the last few days?)

There is no feedback chain, I submitted a big issue back in June / July, about probing cycle feed being 3x (12 inch/min) what it should be resulting in huge error (10x) on Inspect Surface paths that idk only control how parts are aligned, literally did not get an email back from the account managers of my corporate account, the consultant Autodesk had to specifiy help me with this issue, and then 3-4 months later suddenly the inspect surface probe cycles are locked at the feedrate I (well okay 4inch/min vs 3.97inch/min) specified (well renishaw, that Autodesk thought 3x was fine when it clearly wasnt). 3-4 months to correct a simple feedrate issue on a toolpath, that was demonstrably wrong??

Like how much bug finding / fixing do we need to do as PAID SUBSCRIBERS? This should all be handled, much better. I an others are seriously considering significantly better software like NX because I cannot stand to be in the hobbyist/creator space pretending to be professional

It's a total hodgepode of slapped together HSM + other CAM package features, that seemingly breaks something critical anytime there is a new release

Edit; in the time I created this post, I recieved TWO emails from Autodesk about upcoming webinars with "experts", like are you kidding lol 7:31 & 7:33 AM so ridiculous I dont wan't webinars with experts, I want working toolpaths and features

Message 9 of 59
DarthBane55
in reply to: rengfx

You talked about NX.  We do have NX, and we use it for our 5-axis needs.  It is countless times more powerful than Fusion, but also a lot more complex, and a loooootttt more expensive.  We switched to HSM Inventor maybe 7-8 years ago, somewhere, there, to get 90% of our work done, and use NX for the more tricky jobs, just because HSM-Fusion is so much simpler and faster to program for normal jobs.  But it can't do it all, not at this point anyways.

Just thought I'd say that because you said lots of people are talking about switching to NX...  it's a different category of software.  If you can afford it, go for it, but know that each software have their own issues.  In NX, it's cumbersome, many menus hidden behind menus, like 5 menus deep to find the 1 checkbox you were after.  But the power is there.

This is not related to the unfixed bugs in Fusion, it is just to say that NX is not in the same league/market as Fusion.

Message 10 of 59
rengfx

I work with someone with 20 years in Formula 1 programming in NX CAM, it's not that bad and ya will have it's own set of problems

You know what I probably won't have to do though? Fear EVERY software update breaking toolpaths I may need to redo parts for customers, and then having to tell them, well the software update broke my toolpaths on your part

You know what that costs?
Message 11 of 59
DarthBane55

Yes, I know, I used NX for 20 years as well.  And I agree, it doesn't break much.  I also never said it's bad, it just takes longer to create a toolpath (solid toolpath tho).  I can see in F1, they need the power all the time, as I need it for 10% of the time or less, which is why I went to HSM for the 90% of the time (faster programming).  It was a money thing for us as well, which is probably the same for you.  We were able to stop maintenance on NX a while back, but still can use the software at the version we stopped maintenance on (can't do that with Fusion either).

But, the question for you is, if you only see bad things with Fusion, and believe that NX will save you money, what are you doing still here?

Message 12 of 59
TurtleRacing

Get used to it! Happens every time! Then when you bring it up you're wrong, or it's not important enough for them to look at! This is constant anymore! Every update brings more problems, then instead of fixing the problems they go and create more! 

Mine updated today and I can't make start and end extension do anything at all! What used to work, no longer works!

Message 13 of 59
rhetths

@DarthBane55 wrote:

@rhetths wrote:

New toolpaths:

-Steep and Shallow

-Flat

-Blend

-Corner

-Deburr

-Rotary pocket

-Rotary contour

Numerous improvements in the past 3.5 years, it is incredibly more powerful that it was then.  I can imagine though, that for a user at home on a router, it is maybe getting overkill and complex.  For commercial users, it is getting much more useful that it was.  What I observe though is the pace of the new things coming in, is probably too fast, meaning, the Devs work on a new feature, test it very briefly, and introduce it, for us users to find all the issues.  That part I don't like, but what can I do, that's how this software operates.

My guess for the new selection method, is that this is for future ModuleWorks toolpaths implementation (can someone confirm?), therefore would be why they keep saying it was a necessary step and cannot be reverted.  It sucks that it creates issues with old programs, but when starting a new job, we'll get the hang of it and benefit from what it will open up to us, users (I'm hoping that's the case!).

I don't have a rotating head so those toolpaths don't apply to me.  I am not suggesting you should forfeit those features, but there are a heap of things that should be upgraded to the way they were, and i am not talking about features moved to extensions, at least i don't think so.  I don't know what other features you consider make it more powerful, other than extensions.

Many changes i have seen make things take longer, which makes me think they are moving towards a click based revenue advertising model. 

Message 14 of 59
rhetths
in reply to: TurtleRacing

@TurtleRacing wrote:

Get used to it! Happens every time! Then when you bring it up you're wrong, or it's not important enough for them to look at! This is constant anymore! Every update brings more problems, then instead of fixing the problems they go and create more! 

Mine updated today and I can't make start and end extension do anything at all! What used to work, no longer works!

The way i see it, Fusion was originally created by an A-team of programmers.  The fact it can do design, simulation and manufacture, in one program, that is easier to learn than most, is why i use it.

A good principle in life is to attend to the weakest link, that is where you get the most reward for your effort.  Fusion has flaws and limitations that are its weak links.  Yet i don't see those being fixed, instead, things that are good are being degraded, and through doing so bugs are being introduced.  It is demoralising.

Message 15 of 59
rhetths

@DarthBane55 wrote:

I don't know about that.  I do know that:

Arrange

- It used to be one click to flip a component, now its two.

- I haven't noticed any new features.

- It used to be one dialog box, now it's two, meaning its slower and requires more clicks.

Properties

- It used to be two clicks to find out the weight of a component and many other properties, now it's three clicks, and loads slow.

- There were no improvements to this for me.

Blue

- Nowadays a missclick causes things to turn blue, and there is no obvious way to make them not blue.  Normal programming means that if clicking on something highlights it, clicking on it again gets rid of the highlighting, or clicking off it gets rid of the highlighting, but neither work.

Machining Time

- The total machining time used to be displayed at the setup row in the tree, i used to look at that often, but now it's gone.

- When editing a toolpath, when you clicked 'Ok', you could watch the impact the edit had on the machining time, this feature disappeared.

Saving files

- Files should always default save to the folder they were opened from.  Fusion was like this.  Nowadays it saves files to the last opened file, resulting in files being saved in the wrong place, which can cause a heap of serious issues.  It is unbelievably moronic to me to have it like this.

Message 16 of 59
DarthBane55

@rhetths You can show the machining time from your preferences.

1.png

2.png

You must have turned this on in the past and you don't remember, because I never had this show up for me, so, thanks for mentioning this, now I turned this on and I like it!  Didn't know it existed! 😃

Message 17 of 59
rengfx

Just want to comment that "machining time" was actually turned off for quite awhile a few years ago (I do not recall exactly how long) because of extensive crashing issues

Message 18 of 59
seth.madore

@rengfx wrote:

Just want to comment that "machining time" was actually turned off for quite awhile a few years ago (I do not recall exactly how long) because of extensive crashing issues

Right, but it's been back for a bit 🙂

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 19 of 59
rengfx

Yes it has been back quite a while and VERY useful

those dark days without it were tough lol
Message 20 of 59
HughesTooling

@rhetths wrote:

Properties

- It used to be two clicks to find out the weight of a component and many other properties, now it's three clicks, and loads slow.

- There were no improvements to this for me.

I guess you're selecting a component and getting this dialog?

HughesTooling_1-1675877173193.png

If you select a body, use click and hold to select or selection priority to select the body you still get the old properties dialog.

HughesTooling_0-1675877624333.png

HughesTooling_2-1675877304745.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report