Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the toolpaths so jagged and uneven? And why does the model show through the simulation renderings?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
derinveron
210 Views, 3 Replies

Why are the toolpaths so jagged and uneven? And why does the model show through the simulation renderings?

Hi, I imported the model from Rhino. I'll include screenshots of my toolpath settings for Setup 1. You can't see from the screenshot of the model, but the Pencil toolpath also produced extremely bumpy and uneven lines. I've tried different toolpaths for the smoothing finish but it seemed like Parallel gave the best results (and it's still bad). I'm using 1/4" ball nose bit for both Adaptive and Parallel, a 1/8" bit for Pencil pass #1 and 1/32" bit for Pencil pass #2. Wondering why the model shows through the simulations I do as well. I don't really know what I'm doing! Any advice would be appreciated. Also trying to really minimize the cutting time as much as I can. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 3.57.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.02.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.02.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.02.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.03.11 PM.png

Labels (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnswetz1982
in reply to: derinveron

The model shows thru because you have it turned on.

Also since you have zero stock to leave in the adaptive there is nothing left for finishing machining. Adaptive is a roughing tool path and if you have no stock to leave you can violate the model by the tolerance value.

Message 3 of 4
derinveron
in reply to: johnswetz1982

That's a good catch, thank you. Changed the "Stock to leave" to .02 in the Adaptive clearing cut and it did improve the level of finish in Parallel, but it's still a bit jagged. Would you have any suggestions about how my other settings look? I feel like there is more out there about machining metal than wood. 

Also, this is an entirely new question, but would you happen to know if there's a way to skip over the raindrop shapes in the adaptive/parallel toolpaths, and carve them out at the end of the setup with a smaller bit? Thank you in advance

Message 4 of 4
johnswetz1982
in reply to: derinveron

The simulation is not the best way to judge what the final object will look like just to check for collisions etc. File>Export>*.f3d and attach the thread if you want someone to look at it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report