Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which finishing operation to use on pockets with steps

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
doncawley
239 Views, 9 Replies

Which finishing operation to use on pockets with steps

Hi,

I'm attempting to mill the attached design.  It contains almost exclusively pocket with steps ( like a staircase ).  I have used pocket clearing to safely remove the bottom floor of the pockets and do a rough pass.  I now need to add some finishing passes to bring the stock to the designed edges.  However, I'm at a loss as I can't seem to find any operation that properly mills the remaining stock.  I can get the horizontal surfaces correct but can't seem to find a process to mill the vertical walls.  

I am new to CAM so I'm confident I'm missing something obvious.  Am I really supposed to use 3d Adaptive clearing as the finishing operation?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: doncawley

Hi

You would normally use 2D Contour to finish vertical walls

There is no Fusion file attached to your post so we can't have a look and offer more suggestions

You definitely do not want to use 3d adaptive as a finishing toolpath

Message 3 of 10
doncawley

The original image should describe it decently, but ive also attached the f3d file.  

The issue I am having is likely related to properly selecting the contours.  I cant seem to mill the vertical wall that is part of the "last" step.   Is this because there is no actual floor as this is a "hollow" pocket?

Message 4 of 10
a.laasW8M6T

You had the correct selection for the 2D contour but had rest machining on for some reason so it wasn't machining the whole contour.

you also had the tool going too far below the part so the shank was colliding at the top of the part, i reduced this to -0.01" now there is no collision.

The flat toolpath does a good job with finishing the other walls.

see attached:

Message 5 of 10
doncawley

Thank you!

I seem to misunderstand what rest machining does.  I was under the impression that it calculates the previous passes so that the current operation does not think there is stock material where there no longer is, reducing unneeded "air" cuts.

I'm confused as to how 2D contour understands where the stock has already been removed.    Is this because its a 2D operation and doesn't consider stuff like that?

Message 6 of 10
seth.madore

When you use the "Rest Machining" option in the 2D toolpaths (2D Adaptive, Contour and Pocket) it creates a simple profile of the part with the addition of the radius that you define as "Cutter Diameter". It then applies a toolpath (with the current tool) to any area of the part that wouldn't have been touched with the size of tool that was defined in your "Rest Machining Tool Diameter"

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 10
a.laasW8M6T

Rest machining for 3D operations does what you describe, but 2D operations are generally speaking not aware of stock and even the model itself, so rest machining in 2d operations will only remove material from say a corner where a larger tool had not been able to get into, I very rarely use rest machining with 2d operations for this reason

Message 8 of 10
doncawley

Thank you, that makes sense.

As a follow-up part of the issues i've been having is many of the operations i've been trying will get stuck loading the toolpath.  From my understanding it generally means the operation is too complex / data heavy.  Likely i've placed a setting incorrectly or chosen the wrong operation for the job.  It happens to me frequently on various operations, 2D & 3D, and I have a decently powerful desktop computer.  

For example I am stuck on the operation labeled "Steps Finish", the 2nd to last toolpath in order.  I'm intending to mill the flat areas on top of the outside steps ( outside the pockets ).  I would imagine a 2D contour with 2-4 depth passes would be simple enough but I cant get it to load 90% of the time.  I've even turned on smoothing and reduce the tolerance x10 fold.    What am I missing?

attached updated .f3d

Message 9 of 10
a.laasW8M6T

Ok, so again the flat operation is great for this, the issue your having is due to selecting a boundary and then setting the the containment to tool outside boundary.

While this seems like it should machine everything outside the boundary, what it actually does is just allow the tool to overlap the boundary by the tool diameter, this can be seen in the tooltip if you hover over tool containment:

outside.png

So the toolpath is actually trying to machine all the flats inside the boundary and will therefore take al long time to generate.

What you actually need to do is pop back into design and create a circle sketch thats a decent amount larger than your part(like at least 2-3x the tool diameter) a rectangle would work too but a circle is neater.

Now select this circle in addition to the other boundary you already had selected and change the containment to "tool inside boundary".

now you are telling fusion to look only between the two chains.

the toolpath generation took 45.5 seconds on my PC

boundary.png

Message 10 of 10
doncawley

I read that tooltip like sherlock, with a fine tooth comb three times... and I still misunderstood it. 

That obviously solves the issue, thank you for all the help.  Truly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report