Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tool to use for offset boring head milling?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
disp1_uw
1791 Views, 8 Replies

What tool to use for offset boring head milling?

I'm trying to bore a .350" hole on a Haas mill with a Criterion offset boring head and tools:

Criterion offset boring head:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06416192

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63362073

I tried using a "boring bar" tool but nothing I do seems to work for dimensions.

So, how do I set this up?

1) "boring bar" -- doesn't seem to work and I have no examples to look at

2) "end mill" -- no, this could move the center and I want vertical motion only

3) "reamer" -- maybe?

My "Bore6" operation is the one I want to be a boring tool.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
disp1_uw
in reply to: disp1_uw

Urg, I had a think-o.

That's a 3/8" (375 mil) hole.

Message 3 of 9
jcstephens1

Reamer

Message 4 of 9
disp1_uw
in reply to: jcstephens1

Thanks.  That's what I thought, but it's nice to get confirmation.

Message 5 of 9
jcstephens1

Yep you bet.
Message 6 of 9
andy.concept303

I'm having similar issues with using an offset boring head in my mill.  Looking through the Fusion options, it appears that the "Fine Boring - Shift" (under the drilling tab) would be the most suitable, but it doesn't recognise a boring bar.  Note, for this operation, just like the original poster, I want the table to move so spindle centre is concentric with the hole centre, and then not move - only a Z move required.

Message 7 of 9
Kzinty

I know this thread is old and dead, but I just wanted to put in my solution for others to reference.

Using an offset boring head is a straight line move in the Z so all you need to do is program a drill cycle with a drill running your desired RPM and feedrate. The depth will be to the bottom of the hole and your tool length offset in the machine will be the tip of the boring bar.

Message 8 of 9
timQ75BU

Digging up old threads... WHAT IF I want to use an offset boring head to machine an O.D. instead of an I.D.?? Yes, the drill/ ream cycle is the same as mentioned above, but is there any way to get the simulation to work in fusion?  Now it will just obliterate my shaft. Form tool that is a revolved boring bar (tube) perhaps? 

Message 9 of 9
programming2C78B
in reply to: timQ75BU

nothing comes to mind. May have to program it as a super small diameter and accept that the simulation wont be correct. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report