Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What operation can I use to cut out the outline of my object from a sheet of aluminum?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
eldavid0000
395 Views, 6 Replies

What operation can I use to cut out the outline of my object from a sheet of aluminum?

I have successfully been able to create operations for the pockets shown internally in this screenshot, however, I cannot seem to be able to cut out the outline of the object as is needed.  It is simply being cut out of a 3mm piece of aluminum.  As a workaround in the past I have created a fake "bottom" part in order to be able to select a 2D pocket but I would really like to learn to do this right.  

eldavid0000_0-1684438562327.png

Shown here is the 2D pocket operation which yields a toolpath I can use:

eldavid0000_1-1684438623032.png

A 2D contour can be selected but I am led to believe this is not the correct operation.   I want an operation that assumes a flat sheet of stock, and then makes a perimeter to cut out the object, down to the appropriate depth which is 3mm in this case. 

eldavid0000_2-1684438681032.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: eldavid0000

Do you want ALL waste material cut away, or are you just trying to cut out the profile of the part, having it drop out of the sheet? What size (X/Y) is your stock? How are you holding onto this stock?

Can you share your Fusion file?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
eldavid0000

Thanks for the quick reply -  

The stock will be a piece of aluminum, approximately 6" x 6" x 3mm thick, but in reality it is a piece of scrap.  It will be held to the worktable using double stick tape ( mfr. nitto/japan).  The tool will be set to 0mm Z by touching down on the material.  The machine is accurate enough so it won't cut through the bottom layer of tape and damage the table (provided "the operator" doesn't make a mistake).

I've attached my file.  Feel free to give me any other advice if you do take a look at it.  I have noticed that I need to rotate my design object such that the top face is "front" as opposed to "top" (which is how I used to design before starting to use cam). 

Message 4 of 7
eldavid0000

Sorry I didn't reply to your question fully - I would like it to just cut the outline of the object out and then I can remove it from the tape. I don't want to remove all the rest of the material.
Message 5 of 7
seth.madore

Then 2D Contour would be my first choice. You can do this a couple different ways;

1) Use Multiple Depths and turn on Stock Contours. This will position the tool outside of the stock and lead in:

2023-05-18_16h05_21.png

2) Turn off Lead-In/Out and enable Ramp (in the Linking Tab). Turn off Multiple Depths:

2023-05-18_16h06_50.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 7
eldavid0000

I don't seem to be getting the same multiple depth passes as you are.  Here you can see I select the 2D Contour operation and click the top profile of the model.   After selecting top and bottom faces of the object you can see the various depths. 

You can also see in the next screenshot that indeed multiple passes has been selected (and depth of  pass changed from initial value of 13.5mm to 0.5mm).  I expected to see multiple passes after doing that since the material is 3mm thick.  

eldavid0000_4-1684441772080.pngeldavid0000_5-1684441916384.png

eldavid0000_6-1684441938787.png

Message 7 of 7
eldavid0000

Ah, I see, I needed to hit "OK" -- the operation had not updated as indicated by the curved arrow.  After doing that I got the expected operation. 

eldavid0000_7-1684442268785.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report