Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Round Up to Nearest?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jason.rodman
1967 Views, 7 Replies

What is Round Up to Nearest?

Found in setting up your stock.   I don't understand it.

Round Up to Nearest - Specifies the rounding increment for the stock size.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I think its really only for when you are using a relative size stock.  You can set it to whatever increment you want it to round up to.  So if your part is 0.445 and you have it set to 0.04 stock on all sides it would normally be 0.525.  But if you set the rounding to the nearest .01 it would make the stock 0.53. 

Message 3 of 8

The purpose is so that you end up with stock dimensions that come out to stock sized you can purchase.

You don't buy  .736" x .924" bar

you would buy .75" x 1.

So, setting round to nearest for .125" would insure your stock dimentions come out in 1/8" increments.

---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 4 of 8

al.whatmough wrote:

The purpose is so that you end up with stock dimensions that come out to stock sized you can purchase.

You don't buy  .736" x .924" bar

you would buy .75" x 1.

So, setting round to nearest for .125" would insure your stock dimentions come out in 1/8" increments.

The idea is nice but in practice it's not as useful as you might think( in the metric world at least).

What if my part is 60 mm in diameter and 50 mm long.

If I set it to anything you can divide 50 and 60 with I'll get stock that is 60 mm in diameter and 50 mm long. But you can at least be sure you want to face of both sides of the part. (And 9/10 times you also want to turn the outside). And thinking of a number that will get me a 65 mm in stock diameter and 52 in length is harder than just setting them.

So while I like the idea in practise it's usually useless because the length of the stock is usually cut on your saw in house so it would be 2 mm longer so you can face off both sides, or 20 mm longer so you can hold it in gripper jaws. The diameter of most parts need to be turned because the bars you buy  aren't perfectly round so you'll need some extra there which you would by in sizes with 5 or 10 mm increments, but since a lot of parts outer diameters are divisible by 5 or 10 it doesn't do anything.

So for the length of a turning piece I'm not really sure what the plan for this was, since that is at least here in Europe never a certain length. Yes 6 meters, so or you pay someone to cut it(he doesn't care if it's 55 or 56 or 99 long you need, if he needs to cut it he'll do the length you want) or you cut it in house, so not really a way to round that up to anything, and the outer diameter should usually at least be bigger than the outer diameter of the part.

(For milling/Square pieces it is another story.)

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 5 of 8

Yep, Just like relative box size, it sounds pretty cool but has very limited real world use.  Just easier to type in the fixed size.

Message 6 of 8
jason.rodman
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

Thanks for the replies gents. Now I know. And I agree the relative box size has limited usefulness.
Message 7 of 8
curtVJ5LW
in reply to: jason.rodman

When I select a fixed-sized box for the stock and enter three dimensions like 3.01" it still has the "round up to nearest option" set at .5.  WHY?  This is very confusing because, as far as I can tell, when you select a fixed-sized box, nothing is rounded up. The fact that it is there makes me think it's going to round up the numbers I entered to 3.5".  And yet there is no display showing the resulting stock size, so I can't even tell what it's doing.  So today I decided to do some checking and discovered it really wasn't rounding up at all.

In some modes, it shows the model size, in some, it shows the stock size.  It doesn't show the stock size when you use the "fixed-sized box" option, so you can't even be sure if is rounding up or not.  If the parameter was removed from the dialog, this would not be so confusing, but leaving it there makes it confusing.  And why not show both the model size and stock size in all modes so the user can see for sure what the results are????

Message 8 of 8

This discussion is 7 years old.

I dont see any rounding up when using fixed size. What you enter is what you get.
you're also allowed to set those defaults you whatever you wish...I like to use 1/4 and can quickly tell the saw guy what we'll need as a minimum.  Also really helpful on curved parts and things that aren't just circles and squares...

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report