Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-Carve Inlay Anyone?

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
rlrhett
24007 Views, 43 Replies

V-Carve Inlay Anyone?

Does anyone out there know how you would use F360 to create v-carve inlays?  For those who don't know, v-carve inlays take a positive relief and a negative relief cut with a v bit in contrasting materials.  The two are mated and one is cut or sanded away to reveal an inlay with perfectly sharp inside and outside corners.

This is a really great technique for decorative work because you don't need absolutely tiny bits to avoid rounded corners.

The Vectric software has built in scripts, but I assume it isn't too difficult to recreate the steps manually.  I'm more the artist than the computer guy so I'm having trouble thinking it through.  Logically it doesn't seem too complicated.  There are only a few things to keep in mind.  For eg. the positive shouldn't bottom out when mated so that you can be assured of a good fit.  Is there an evangelist out there who knows how this is done?  Here is there Youtube video on how Vectric has done it:

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
HughesTooling
in reply to: rlrhett

The only thing I can think of is a program ZSurf, it will convert an image into a surface. See this thread for a bit more info. Other than that you could use Inkscape to trace the image then extrude in Fusion @PhilProcarioJr did a couple of screencasts a few weeks back, don't know if he can remember the thread.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 44

I found Phil's post, I bookmarked it as I thought it would be useful one day.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/recommendations-on-how-to-super-empose-a-embl...

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 44
michallach81

Hi it's possible with engrave and pocket, only difference is that in Fusion we can't have pocket "inside" engrave, we need to do them separately. Because of that, it's not happening automatically and you need to find the offset for pocket (for 90 deg. chamfer mill offset will be same as depth).

In a short time I will make a screencast (no voice, cause I don't have mic at work), I will try to use same sizes for drawing, stock material and mills.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author
projektowanieproduktow.wordpress.com

Message 5 of 44
PhilProcarioJr

@rlrhett

What are you after for your end result? A model or actual machined part? For the model you can use the videos in the thread Mark posted to get all your lines from an image then you can use the video I posted here to V-Carve into a stock.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 6 of 44

@PhilProcarioJr

It's impossible to mimic engrave in modeling, because engrave can create 3d path from random outline:

engrave.gif

How you would guess that path to sweep? In a minute I'll post my vid.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Message 7 of 44
michallach81

Here it is, as I said, I've tried to replicate same object as on video you've posted. Note that depth, tools and offsets will depend on job you have to do:

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Message 8 of 44
michallach81
in reply to: michallach81

I forgot to attach file, here it is:

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Message 9 of 44

@michallach81

Not sure why your getting those results...

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 10 of 44

I know it's a bit tricky, if you would use tool bigger in diameter than overall width of closed path, engrave tool would find 3d path, of course if you will limit depth it will look as in your example.
Try to look closer in to how feathers are carved in that bird example (both my and a bird from vcrave).

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Message 11 of 44

Hi Michal, thanks for posting the screencast and file. I have a couple of suggestions to add and used your file in the screencast below.

The first is if you enable multiple depths in the 2d pocket op there's an option to add a wall taper so you don't need to do the math if you use a cutter with a different angle. You can set the max roughing depth to the total depth of cut and get one pass or less to get more passes. 

Second, if you unselect the outer profile and enable Stock Contours in the second setup, Pocket will clear the whole face.

Last If you use Create Derived Operation on the right click menu all your selections and setting are use. Fusion is real slow with those splines selected, not noticed that before.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 12 of 44

@michallach81

I see what your saying and you can model that but it would be a tremendous amount of work that honestly wouldn't be worth it.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 13 of 44

Just in case someone ever wants to model something like this....

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 14 of 44
rlrhett
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

I am sorry to everyone. I must have made a mistake in creating the original post. This was meant to be posted in the CAM sub-forum. The question is about machining an inlay, not simulating that in the modeling software.

To the moderators, can this post be transferred over to the correct sub-forum or should I simply re-post there?
Message 15 of 44
HughesTooling

@rlrhett Have you watched the screencasts in post #7 & 11 they show how to machine and post 8 has a demo file. You import the file with New Design from file on the file menu.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 16 of 44
rlrhett
in reply to: HughesTooling

Yes, you are right. I was so embarrassed that I posted in the wrong section (and that I saw someone had gone to all the trouble of posting a screencast of how to MODEL a cam operation) I had not seen the screen cast after post #5. #7 and #11 appear to be exactly what I was looking for.

Still, can this be transferred over to CAM subform so someone else interested might find it?

Thanks a million!
Message 17 of 44
HughesTooling

@rlrhett if you need a post edited\moved click on report, bottom left of each post and ask the moderators to move the post.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 18 of 44
rlrhett
in reply to: HughesTooling

I think the solution in #7 and refined in #11 works.  I'm trying to follow it, but I am not sure we took into account that for practical purposes the male and female can't be identical.  The male will likely bottom preventing a good mate.  Did that get addressed and I didn't see?

Here is a second Youtube of a different program's approach to this problem.  He calls the offset "Prismatic Overcut".  He addresses it @ 1:10, 4:26.

Message 19 of 44
HughesTooling

You should get the same effect by moving the top face of the female side up above the level of the sketch. You will lose the sharp corners on the distance you move the face up but it probably only needs to be 0.02" to 0.03" so I doubt you'll notice with a V cutter.

Here's a screencast modifying the file above.

File's attached

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 20 of 44

Hi guys, since yesterday you've posted several anwsers, and I will try to address them one after another, so please be paitient, and try to wait for all my 3 posts before you'll anwser. It may took me an hour.

First @PhilProcarioJr

Phil, I know that we can create "fake" inlay that will look same as original, and under certain circumstances it will be the same, but with current tools and in this kernel (ASM) it's not possible to model what engrave tool is doing. Just take a look at how in theory it should be done , but Fusion kernel will not let us do that:

You can look for a workaround, but I have little hope for success.

Michał Lach
Designer
co-author

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report