Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected stepovers in pocket hole operation

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dave.eckblad
284 Views, 6 Replies

Unexpected stepovers in pocket hole operation

I'm practicing a 2D Pocket operation to create a rabbet around a speaker driver baffle mount. The cut path as I see it in Fusion 360 seems to be perfectly circular. However, out of my x-carve via Easel, I'm seeing a pattern of unexpected step-overs during the operation. I've attached a screenshot of the resultant path in 360 and a photo of the error as seen in wood. Note the abrupt drive up the y-axis around the 10-o-clock position and a excessive drive down Y around the 4-o-clock position on the outer diameter. It seems to happen at all depths and even in the finish passes as well. I don't think I'm losing steps to imperfections in the wood as the router is returned to the same origin position after finishing without any sign of drift. The jump is not seen in the Easel cut preview.

What's wrong with my config? Is this possibly just a limitation of this operation? Should I use a different operation?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: dave.eckblad

It's not the toolpath, I don't think. Are you leaving any material for a finish 2D Contour pass? What are your cutting parameters? If the tool is well under load and it's retracted immediately, there could likely be that result you are seeing.

Is the part moving on you, is it well secured?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
dave.eckblad
in reply to: seth.madore

I've ran test cuts above the stock. In free air, I see the motor controller making very abrupt step-overs of about 1mm at locations not illustrated in the Fusion cut preview. I've come to find that my 2d Contour cuts also show this issue. 

What's odd is the location of these unwanted step-overs seem to occur in a different place each time I load the gcode. But, in the same place on each new step-down pass for any single run of that operation... So, maybe Easel is at fault?

I included my passes parameters as a screenshot. Speeds feel right. But, aren't at issue as the problem persists in free air. But I assure you the part is definitely well secured. The router does return to it's proper origin.

Message 4 of 7
dave.eckblad

I've also now ran the same operation via UGS instead of Easel and I still see the same problem in open air test runs. That's making me think the problem is not in Fusion... I can't rule out the motor controller being at fault. But, I did just update its firmware recently and it does slew to positions just fine. Also, noting the anomalies occur in the same positions multiple times...

I've checked the resultant .nc files with NC Viewer and they are as expected... so I guess I have to rule out Fusion and concentrate on sender/motor controller issues?

Message 5 of 7
dave.eckblad

Hold up on troubleshooting this. The issue may be the x drive belt running into the motor cog. The idle wheel plastic flanges are coming loose of their bearings. I'll report back later.

Message 6 of 7
dave.eckblad

Wow yeah, it was the x axis belt idle wheels. The belt was temporarily jamming shortly after changes in direction. You can see the "Before" cuts with errors circled and the "Post Fix" examples here.
PXL_20210609_025441759.jpg

Message 7 of 7
seth.madore

Yep, whenever the NC code displays a valid path in a backplotter, but the problems show up at the machine, 9 times out of 10 it comes back to an issue at the machine

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report