Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected issue with threadmilling in the Manufacture workspace

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ra_hernandezgomesMQ9JX
238 Views, 5 Replies

Unexpected issue with threadmilling in the Manufacture workspace

Hi Fusion 360 community, I hope this is the right place for this post. 

I'm having a problem threadmilling a hole in the Manufacture workspace. I don't know why, when I use the 2D Thread function, it comes out like this [see image titled problem thread]. As you can see, it's barely a line with no depth at all. I actually have other threads on the same part and they came out just fine, so I don't know what's causing this issue. I have spent all day tweaking parameters, editing the tool, etc. I'm trying to do a M50x1.5 thread but honestly at this point I'm happy with anything that looks remotely like a proper thread.

I suspect it has something to do with the tool, but I have no idea what to do in that regard because I only have the option to pick 3 tools when filtering by 'Thread' in the tool selection box and OI'm already picking the biggest tool. 

I'm attaching the .f3d just in case you want to take a direct look at it. The problem thread is called 'Thread10', it's the last operation in 'Setup2' in the Manufacture workspace. You'll see the parameters are all wonky because I messed with it a lot, but I don't know what else to try. Tried multiple passes, tried different tools, tried editing my tool diameter, etc. Posting here was my last resort.

I should mention, the threads are also in the Design workspace, but I suppressed them and opted to do them in the Manufacture workspace directly because that was also giving me issues. But I don't know if that's the proper way to do it. Maybe you need to leave them on in the Design workspace and then they will thread correctly in the Manufacture workspace? I already tried that but no idea if something needs to be tweaked.

Thank you for reading!!

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Bump, hopefully

Message 3 of 6

The issue is that, in the state that the model is in, the diameter of that hole is 50mm. You were on the right track with your initial thought; use the Hole command to define an M50 x 1.5 thread. However, avoid using "Modeled Threads", as it just leads to confusion. 

Also, there's some definition that's off on your threadmill, I think. Is your M12 threadmill actually 48.8mm?

2023-04-23_10h33_02.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 6

Thank you very much for moving the post where it belongs and for the reply, Seth!

The definition of the tool is off, yes, because when I filter by 'Thread' in the tool selection box, I only get 3 tool options, and the biggest one is M12. So for a M50 hole, I have no idea if I'm supposed to use that tool or edit it to fit my part. I tinkered with it a bunch, changed the dimensions, etc, but could never get it to work. I guess it's saved now with the weird measures that I was experimenting with, that's what you're seeing.

Can you elaborate on the "avoid using 'Modeled Threads'" part? You mean in the Design workspace?

I'm confused regarding the threads in the Design workspace. I don't know if I should remove them (right now they are), and have the part "clean" in the Manufacture workspace and thread it there.

Message 5 of 6

In the Design space, you have a couple options:

1) (and this is my preferred method) Model your holes to the minor diameter. That's it, no adding of threads.

2) Using the "hole" tool, define your hole size, and for "threads", define the size, but don't click the "modeled" button. This gives us a somewhat visual representation:

2023-04-23_11h08_35.png

Unless you're rendering a part for marketing purposes are 3D Printing, there's zero need to have modeled threads.

If you're just doing subtractive machining, modeling the holes to the minor diameter is all you need to do

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 6

Thank you very much for the help, Seth. Like you said at the beginning, basically the problem was that my center hole's diameter was 50 mm instead of 48,5 mm (for a M50 thread). Also, thank you for the clarification on the modeled vs "visual" threads.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums