Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename operation

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
FrodoLoggins
356 Views, 14 Replies

Unable to rename operation

Deleting the "(1)" just makes a "(2)" appear and deleting that "(2)" makes a "(1)" populate.

Typing "RGH" populates either "RGH (1)" or "RGH (2)".

Typing anything else allows me to rename it to what I typed [as expected]. However after it's named something random, trying to rename it to "RGH" like I want it to be named turns it back into either  "RGH (1)" or "RGH (2)".

Setup "Pin] 1" was copied from another file I worked on a few weeks ago. The original name of that operation was "RGH".

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
seth.madore
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

Yep, known bug currently being worked on, sorry for the annoyance.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 15
brekmiller
in reply to: seth.madore

This is the bug that you can't have two toolpaths with the same name, even if they are in different setups.  Right Seth?

Brek Miller

Software Engineer
Message 4 of 15
seth.madore
in reply to: brekmiller

I believe so, yes. Jeff P has been poking around in this issue to find the source of the problem, CAM-46448 and CAM-46951

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 15
FrodoLoggins

This was resolved but I'm now again unable to have duplicate names within the same setup:

- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 6 of 15

If you leave a space after the title, fusion won't add the (2) because its technically a different name. 

programming2C78B_0-1698332261358.png

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 7 of 15

Thanks for the workaeround

Message 8 of 15
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: brekmiller

@brekmiller @jeff_strater Got another example for you:

Message 9 of 15
FrodoLoggins

@brekmiller @jeff.strater Are we not allowed to have operations named the same thing in the same setup anymore? That's how it used to be but then for the past ~2 years I could have duplicately named operations in the same setup no problem.

Message 10 of 15
seth.madore

No, it is no longer possible to have identical names inside of the same Setup. This was an intentional change due to conflict with the API and other commands.

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 15
ltomuta

Duplicate "operation 1" and you get "operation 1 (2)". Annoying. Try to rename "operation 1 (2)" back to "operation 1" and you get "operation 11". Now that's what I call really annoying and it would be even more annoying for the machinist to think that I really want him to get me that .001mm on that particular feature when .01mm precision is enough. 

ltomuta_1-1700510954135.png

I don't understand why a 2nd numbering convention was required. If I can't change "operation 1 (2)" back to "operation 1" then let me keep "operation 1 (2)" and show me an "names must be unique" notification.

I can then change it myself into something that makes more sense to me, like 

ltomuta_2-1700511331540.png

or 

ltomuta_3-1700511374518.png

Also, if I duplicate a setup, there is no need to append (2) to every operation from the new setup. Even without it the operation names are still unique within that setup and all this does is give me a boring name cleanup task.

Message 12 of 15
DarthBane55
in reply to: ltomuta

@ltomuta wrote:

Also, if I duplicate a setup, there is no need to append (2) to every operation from the new setup. Even without it the operation names are still unique within that setup and all this does is give me a boring name cleanup task.

Yes, I also hate (2), so years ago I made myself a little macro with auto hotkey assigned to F4 on my keyboard, when I hit F4, it deletes the last 4 characters.  I guess now I will have to change this macro to do something after deleting the 4 last if we can't have the same name anymore.  That's ok though, I usually replaced the (2) with -2, and renamed all after to -3, -4 etc, when I wanted the same name, which is rare for me.  But my little macro will be broken now.  Not a big deal, I'll figure something else out.  Maybe an option in preferences to ask us what to do with the name when duplicating an operation would be cool, let us choose a prefix or suffix, and what that would be, then everybody can find their preferred way to rename a duplicate!

Message 13 of 15
FrodoLoggins

Just FYI sometimes the parentheses are missing when making duplicates.

I believe when copy/pasting setups all toolpaths within the copy get an added " (integer)" on the end but when copy/pasting just operations no parenthesis get added just the integer without a space:

Also if the API allows for it maybe instead of adding integers on the ends of operation names just italicize them and let the user use a hotkey or right click > choose option from menu to un italicize.

Message 14 of 15
FrodoLoggins

I'm again able to name multiple operations the same name:

Did this functionality come back?

Message 15 of 15
FrodoLoggins

In addition to me being able to have duplicate names in the same setup despite this functionality not supposed to be possible anymore I'm able to drag a toolpath with the same name from another setup and have duplicate names in the setup I dragged the operation to. So if anyone's looking for a workaround just move the toolpath to a different setup > rename it to what you want > move it back to the original setup:

Also shown in the video if I delete the name but retype it the name can still remain a duplicate. However once I rename it to something different, if I try naming back to the same name an integer gets added as expected.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums