Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Create Custom Threading Cycle

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
zachary_smith40
264 Views, 6 Replies

Unable to Create Custom Threading Cycle

I am working on a piece to turn in my Haas toolroom lathe. I have designed the part and joined components to create a single body. I have tried the threading toolpath but the code shows as a ID stock removal. 

I want to create these "fins" which are only .05" thick. Close to .50" deep. I have been attempting to use a grooving tool with a thread path but the geometry screen only allows me to select the smooth portion of the ID and not the actual coil I used to create the thread.

Has anyone else had issues creating custom threaded parts?

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Is your grooving tool the same width as the space between the fins?

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7

No the threading tool is not the same width. I want to use the same tool for multiple sizes. The groove tool in my library was designed to cover my largest to smallest. 

The original setup was to offset and rerun the program (all in haas VPS). I was hoping the manufacture toolpath generator would allow multiple passes to arrive at the final size. 

Message 4 of 7

The reason you can't select the inner face is because it's not actually a diameter, being comprised rather of many surfaces. You'll have to create a cylindrical surface to allow for accurate selection.

That said, it's likely not going to be an easy task to get your simulated toolpath to align with the orientation of your modeled fins 🤔

2023-09-05_15h10_21.png

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 7

I don't believe I fully understand how to arrive at your suggestion. Could you give more detail or timeline video?

Message 6 of 7

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 7

Thanks again. I will attempt to remodel with a less difficult profile

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report